My iPhone experiences synchronisation problems with my exchange account

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I have an iPhone4s. Synchronisation with exchange works fine, except for the contacts. When I add a contact on my iPhone. The iPhone starts synchronisation and comes back with at random double contacts, sometimes triple, etc.

This only happens when I add a contact to my iPhone. This does not happen when I add a contact via Outlook or the webapp.

I only synchronize by air and do not use other iPhone features like syncing via iTunes or iCloud.

What could be the case?

Thanks in advance, regards,

Kees.

All Replies
  • Hi Kees,
    Thanks for posting here.
    Before moving on, would you please confirm the information?
    I understand that you have set up Exchange e-mail account on your iPhone device, and a new calendar item could not be synced to Outlook or Outlook Web App (OWA) successfully when adding it with mobile device. Is it right?
    If it is true, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
    1. Reset up Exchange E-mail account on your iPhone device with the following article.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd125429.aspx

2. Based on my experience, this sync issue may be caused by a corrupted ActiveSync relationship or too many connections to the same Exchange mailbox.
    Please follow these steps to repair the corrupted relationship:
    a. Remove the synchronization relationship on the device.
    b. Remove the device relationship in Outlook Web Access or in Outlook Web App.

c. Verify that the relationship does not exist any longer. To do this, run the Get-ActiveSyncDevice -Mailbox <userID> cmdlet in Exchange Online PowerShell.
    Note Only Exchange Online administrators can run this cmdlet.
    d. Restart the device.
    e. Re-create the ActiveSync relationship on the device, and confirm that the issue is resolved.

3. If this does not help, please confirm if many connections to the same Exchange mailbox.
    a. To determine how many devices connect to a mailbox, run the Get-ActiveSyncDevice -Mailbox <user ID> cmdlet in Exchange Online PowerShell.
    b. Run the Get-LoginStatistics -Identity <user ID> cmdlet to determine which device is currently logged in to the mailbox.
    c. If you have more than three devices that connect to the mailbox, remove all device relationships, and then add back the device on which the issue occurs.
    d. Test synchronization to determine whether the issue is resolved.

==================
    An Exchange Online mailbox calendar is not synchronized when you use an ActiveSync-based mobile device
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2293282

If the issue persists, would you please help us collect more information for further troubleshooting?
    1. How are things going when add a calendar item on Outlook or OWA? Can it be synced to mobile device successfully?
    2. Is there any other person experiencing the same? Have you experienced the smaller issue before?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Dear Grace,

Thanks for your reply, but please read my question. I'm having trouble specific with contacts, not new calender items.

And more specifically, I'm having troubles when I make an entry on my iPhone. The phone starts syncing, and that's where the problem comes in: Then some of my contacts (random) are duplicated, or triplicated or quadruplicated, etc.

Regards, Kees.

• Hi Kees,

In the iPhone go to Contacts and click on the Groups button at the top.  Are you just selecting the Contacts under Exchange or you selecting All Contacts/All Exchange?  All contacts includes all Contacts that are in Exchange including Suggested Contacts. If you select just Contacts you will just get the normal contacts you are used to seeing.

For more information about how to set up Microsoft Exchange E-Mail, please refer to the article below.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd936215.aspx

And I share you some post links in Apple Communities who has already raised similar question that you can pay close attention to:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/17386868#17386868
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/17076067#17076067
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/16767126#16767126

If the issue cannot be fixed, I also recommend you post questions or find out solution in Apple Support Community. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Josephine Meng

• Hi Kees,

Sorry for the misunderstanding in my last reply.

As you experienced this issue with contacts, would you please Reset up Exchange E-mail account on your iPhone device and check the ActiveSync relationship with the following steps?
    ===================
    Check the ActiveSync relationship.
    a. Remove the synchronization relationship on the device.
    b. Remove the device relationship in Outlook Web Access or in Outlook Web App.
    c. Verify that the relationship does not exist any longer. To do this, run the Get-ActiveSyncDevice Mailbox <userID> cmdlet in Exchange Online PowerShell.

d. Restart the device.
    e. Re-create the ActiveSync relationship on the device, and confirm that the issue is resolved.

If this issue persists, would you please add the account to another mobile device and try it again?
    Besides, can you add a new contact using Outlook Web App (OWA) successfully?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks Grace, I will try this. How do I execute step 'b.'?

Regards, Kees.

• Hi Kees,

To remove the device relationship in Outlook Web App(OWA), please perform the following steps below:
    --Access your mailbox in Exchange Online with OWA.
    --Click Options>See All Options>Phone > Mobile Phones.
    --Remove your mobile devices from the Mobile Phones list.

Besides, would you please update your mobile device to the latest version and check if there is any other person experiencing the same issue? Can you add a new contact item in Outlook or OWA and sync it to iPhone successfully?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Kees,

How are things going? Is there any update on the status of the issue?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

I executed a and b. But unfortunately I was not able to execute c. I got the reply "The term 'Get-ActiveSyncDeviceMailbox' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program".

I now need a few hours to see whether the issue still exists. I'll get back to you.

And yes, I can add contacts using OWA or Outlook. Synchronisation in that direction works fine.

Regards, Kees.

• Hi Kees,

We appreciate your feedback.
    Sorry for the mistyped cmdlet in my last reply. The correct one is Get-ActiveSyncDevice -Mailbox <user ID>.
    If there is any update on the status of the issue, it is welcome to post back. We will continue checking it for you.

Thanks for your time and continuing cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

For a few days the solution worked well. I thought actually the problem was solved. Then it came suddenly back again.

What I have learned so far is that

- when I remove  the connection only on the iPhone and I set it up again the problem still exists;

- if I remove the connection both on OWA and on the iPhone and set it up again on the iPhone the problem seems to be away for a few days. And then suddenly pops up.

So, I guess something must happen in the background and causes the problem.

I tried to search for this problem on the internet but there do not seem to be others with the same problems.

Regards,

Kees.

• Hello Kees,

I'm sorry this issue is still happening.  Is this the only account that is synchronizing e-mail/contacts on the iPhone? Are there any other e-mail accounts (i.e. POP, IMAP, etc.) that the phone is syncing with?  Do the duplicate contacts also show up in the Outlook Web App or only on the iPhone itself?  What contact groups is the phone set to display (i.e. iCloud, Phone, Exchange, etc.)?

Thank you Kees.

All the best,
    Ryan E. Geiger

• Hello Ryan,

No, there's also an POP account. On the iPhone, Exchange is set to the standard account for both contacts and email.

When I delete the connection on OWA and on the iPhone and set it back again, the function works fine for a period (hours to days). If I enter a new contact on my iPhone I very briefly see that it is syncing and then the new contact pops up in OWA or Outlook. That is how it should work.

Then the issue starts popping up. If I then add a contact on my iPhone, I can see that all my contacts on the iPhone are deleted and new ones are copied. These new ones are all my existing contacts from the Exchange server, but some are duplicated. The new contact stays on my iPhone.

In OWA/ Outlook nothing happens, the new contact does not show up in OWA/ Outlook.

When this happens I delete the Exchange account on my iPhone and restore it. If I leave the situation above then also the duplicates will be synced to OWA/ Outlook causing a contact folder to explode and a lot of work.

The iPhone shows all contact groups. I do not use iCloud.

Regards, Kees.

• Hello Kees,
    Your post was responded to in a private message.
    • Please go to the Your Details section on the right side of the community site.
    • Click Private messages.
    • Click the subject title of the response to read the message.
    • You can reply by using the form in this display.

All the best,
    Ryan E. Geiger

• I have two clients that I recently moved to Office 365 that have the exact same problem. All of a sudden random contacts duplicate. I have seen the same contact duplicated up to 10 times. I have been turning off Contacts sync and then re-enabled it to remove the duplicate entries. But alas they do return.

• Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to inform everyone here that this issue is currently under investigation on Apple's side. If you can, please contact Apple Support to report this issue to them. At this point, we are not aware of any reason that Exchange or Exchange ActiveSync protocol which is utilized by iOS devices to connect to Exchange mailboxes is playing any role in this issue. We are also looking into it for root cause analysis to expedite resolution for our customers. If someone here wants to help us out with repro and is willing to share the contacts from an affected user's mailbox with us, please contact me by sending a private message. Thank you.