No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email settings

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I've been stumbling around trying to migrate to 365 from OLSB.  I think I am pretty much there now.  I've moved my domain and I'm in the process of rebuilding my website which is going fine.  I've got my email up and running and coming through into the Outlook web thing.  However, I am keen to carry on using Windows Live Mail to collate all my emails from different accounts and the emails associated with my domain in 365 are not coming through.  Does anyone know how I can set this up in WLM so I can continue as before?

Cheers

Dave 

Verified Answer
  • Hi Dave,

Sorry for the confusing information provided in my last reply.
    Windows Live mail (WLM) and Microsoft Office Outlook are two kinds of email client software, and we can add email account to it and manage our mailbox by using these tools. However, WLM is not packed software provided in Office 365.

In this version of Office 365 Small Business subscription, Office Profession Plus 2010 is not included. However, for each OLSB customer, Microsoft provide 6 month free trial subscription of Office Professional Plus - the latest version of Office, which will be easy to move your OLSB contact information to your Office 365 account. Therefore, you may use it to add and manage your Office 365 account as I explained in my last reply. Here is the article about how to set up e-mail in Outlook 2010.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd253202.aspx

Meanwhile, you may also use client WLM to manage your Office 365 account as you used before. However, you will have to set up your e-mail account using POP3 or IMAP4 connectivity on WLM.

In addition, when you say “emails to this address: david@aidanmyersart.co.uk are no longer coming through to the inbox in WLM”, I would like to confirm if it is an Exchange Online email address, have you used it in your OLSB account? Can you receive emails successfully when using Outlook Web App (OWA)?
    If it is true and you can receive emails from OWA, to troubleshoot this issue, would you please remove the account from WLM and add it again to see if any improvement?

Typically, after you transferred from OLSB to Office 365 successfully, the DNS MX record are pointing to Office 365, therefore, new messages sent to address will be delivered to the cloud-based mailbox, and your original OLSB account will not able to receive emails. Please remove the account and add it again with the step-by-step provided in this article:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg316699.aspx

Reference address:
    Online Help - Office 365 Small Business
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/
    Office Professional Plus:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/office-professional-plus.aspx#fbid=cDYHZe4C3bA

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Dave,

Windows Live Mail (WLM) is email client software and installed in local PC. We always use this kind of email client to manage our email accounts, for example, your previous OLSB account or a Hotmail account.  Meanwhile, WLM is a desktop client, and the added email accounts are not client.

My meaning of set up Exchange Online in Outlook is not that WLM is phased out.
    As WLM is not the packed software in Office 365, so we not recommend our customers add the Office 365 Exchange Online account to WLM for better experience of Exchange Online, because it needs to set up the Office 365 account using POP3 or IMAP4 connectivity.
    So, if you would like to continue using this email client (WLM), please refer to the article to set up your account on WLM.

To set up Windows Live Mail for your Office 365 email account, it needs to configure Incoming server settings and Outgoing server settings. Please look up your own POP3, IMPA4 and SMTP server settings before set up your email account. 
    To obtain the POP3, IMAP4 or SMTP settings information, follow these steps:
    1. Sign in to Outlook Web App.
    2. Click Options, and then click See All Options.
    3. Click Account, click My Account, and then in the Account Information area, click Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.
    Note the POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP settings information that is displayed on this page.

More information, please see the article: watch the article to learn how to find your server settings for your POP or IMAP e-mail program.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg316699.aspx#FindTheServerSettings

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

All Replies
  • Dave Myers

WLM so I can continue as before?

It wouldn't, See-->  Keep my OLSB business email accounts?

• Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post.
    Currently, the exclusive promotional offer for OLSB customers provides OLSB customers with a 6 month free trial subscription of Office Professional Plus, which will be easy to move your OLSB contact information to your Office 365 account and set up Outlook 2010 to access your account with an Exchange account using only your e-mail address and password.

However, you may also use the Windows Live Mail to your e-mail account using POP3 or IMAP4 connectivity.
    More information, please see: Set Up Windows Live Mail 2011 for Your E-Mail Account.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi

Now I'm really confused.

Maybe if I describe my situation in more detail.  I am not techy but this is what I think I have done.

Before:

I set up my website www.aidanmyersart.co.uk using microsoft office live a few years ago.  With it I got an email address david@aidanmyers.art.co.uk which received mail from people who contacted me via the website.  Somewhere along the way I started using an email package called Windows Live Mail - I can remember whether I got this as part of office live or not but I like it just fine.  I have linked a number of email addresses into it - sky.co, hotmail etc and all my mail from the separate addresses comes in and gets deposited into separate inboxes.  I have a poor memory and I use WLM as a giant filing system to file mails away into lots of different folders.  

I quite like this setup and have rarely had to go near office live itself other than for website updates.  I had assumed that WLM was simply a standalone email handling system.

Now:

I have moved my domain to office365 and established my website www.aidanmyersart.co.uk there.  I am in the process of moving all my web pages across and that seems to be going OK if a bit laborious.  I don't remember doing anything in particular (I must admit I pressed so many buttons that it's all a bit of a blur!) but when I am logged into office365 and I click on Outlook across the top it opens up an email page and my es to david@aidanmyersart.co.uk are coming through to the inbox.

However, emails to this address are no longer coming through to the inbox in WLM.

So my questions are:

Can I carry on as I was before and use WLM as an email aggregator?

If so how do I "reactivate" david@aidanmyersart.co.uk in WLM?

Is WLM part of OLSB?

Is WLM being phased out?

What is WLM!!!???

What is Outlook 2010?  Is it free?

I really don't want to be forced to change anything much as I was happy with things as they were.  In particular I'm not keen on spending any more cash than I have to.    

Cheers.

Dave      

• Hi Dave,

Sorry for the confusing information provided in my last reply.
    Windows Live mail (WLM) and Microsoft Office Outlook are two kinds of email client software, and we can add email account to it and manage our mailbox by using these tools. However, WLM is not packed software provided in Office 365.

In this version of Office 365 Small Business subscription, Office Profession Plus 2010 is not included. However, for each OLSB customer, Microsoft provide 6 month free trial subscription of Office Professional Plus - the latest version of Office, which will be easy to move your OLSB contact information to your Office 365 account. Therefore, you may use it to add and manage your Office 365 account as I explained in my last reply. Here is the article about how to set up e-mail in Outlook 2010.

Meanwhile, you may also use client WLM to manage your Office 365 account as you used before. However, you will have to set up your e-mail account using POP3 or IMAP4 connectivity on WLM.

In addition, when you say “emails to this address: david@aidanmyersart.co.uk are no longer coming through to the inbox in WLM”, I would like to confirm if it is an Exchange Online email address, have you used it in your OLSB account? Can you receive emails successfully when using Outlook Web App (OWA)?
    If it is true and you can receive emails from OWA, to troubleshoot this issue, would you please remove the account from WLM and add it again to see if any improvement?

Typically, after you transferred from OLSB to Office 365 successfully, the DNS MX record are pointing to Office 365, therefore, new messages sent to address will be delivered to the cloud-based mailbox, and your original OLSB account will not able to receive emails. Please remove the account and add it again with the step-by-step provided in this article:

Reference address:
    Online Help - Office 365 Small Business
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/
    Office Professional Plus:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/office-professional-plus.aspx#fbid=cDYHZe4C3bA

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace

Thanks for your patience and your help.

I was originally using david@aidanmyersart.co.uk in my OLSB account and had set it up as a "client"(??) in WLM.

One thing that was confusing me is that the mail server in WLM was an HTTP server (mail.services.live.com/.../sync.aspx) so I couldn't find a way of changing it to POP/IMAP.

I have now set up another account in WLM using the POP setting that you pointed me to.  I am now getting emails sent to this address showing up in both OWA and WLM.  The only problem that remains is that I can't send emails via WLM from this address - when I set up the new account it asked for outgoing server details and I didn't know what these were.

So I have two remaining questions:

What outgoing server details should I be using for the account within WLM?

Is WLM to be phased out and if so what is the timing for this?

Cheers.

Dvae    

• Hi Dave,

Windows Live Mail (WLM) is email client software and installed in local PC. We always use this kind of email client to manage our email accounts, for example, your previous OLSB account or a Hotmail account.  Meanwhile, WLM is a desktop client, and the added email accounts are not client.

My meaning of set up Exchange Online in Outlook is not that WLM is phased out.
    As WLM is not the packed software in Office 365, so we not recommend our customers add the Office 365 Exchange Online account to WLM for better experience of Exchange Online, because it needs to set up the Office 365 account using POP3 or IMAP4 connectivity.
    So, if you would like to continue using this email client (WLM), please refer to the article to set up your account on WLM.

To set up Windows Live Mail for your Office 365 email account, it needs to configure Incoming server settings and Outgoing server settings. Please look up your own POP3, IMPA4 and SMTP server settings before set up your email account. 
    To obtain the POP3, IMAP4 or SMTP settings information, follow these steps:
    3. Click Account, click My Account, and then in the Account Information area, click Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.
    Note the POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP settings information that is displayed on this page.

More information, please see the article: watch the article to learn how to find your server settings for your POP or IMAP e-mail program.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg316699.aspx#FindTheServerSettings

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Dave,

Does the reply above answer your question?

if you need additional assistance, please feel free to post in the forum.

Thanks,

Grace Shi

• That was not nice Grace, deleting my posting.

Re: Email settings Replied to by WebBuilder Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:00 PM

The post you requested cannot be found or no longer exists. The administrator or moderator may have deleted the post.

Ken

• Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.
    Actually, I have not deleted your post here. Based on this situation, would you please post your reply again? I will forward this issue to the appropriate department through our internal channel.
    Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• I am so sorry Grace for accusing you.

Here is the Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:00 PM posting that someone or something deleted.

--------------------------

Dave Myers,

I think Grace Shi covered all the bases there. But just in case she missed
    something, I would like to add.

You want your new O365 email address of david@aidanmyersart.co.uk to be connect to your computer's Windows Live mail, because you are use to it and like it. Well I do too

So take a look at this and see if this is what you want:

Set Up Windows Live Mail 2011 for Your E-Mail Account at http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg316699.aspx

or Set Up the 2009 Version of Windows Live Mail for Your E-Mail Account at http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc511401.aspx

• Hi Grace et el

Thanks for your help I've now got everything running smoothly and am back to pretty much what I had before.

I don't want to sound too pickey but I do think that you techy guys sometimes make things far too complicated and assume a level of knowledge beyond that of most "small business users".  Or maybe it's that you just don't read the

For example the one line answer to my last question could have been:

"Use the SMPT settings for your outgoing server settings." thats all I needed to know!

Now that I've got everything back to normal and things are fresh in mind, I'll start looking for a free internet software provider before I have to start paying Microshaft!  Any ideas guys?

Cheers.

Dave.

P.S. sorry if I've triggered a bit of a spat with Ken!  

• DM,

Take a look at this --> Move Somewhere Else 

Has a little more than one line.

• Hi Dave,

I understand that you want to use and configure the SMTP settings for your outgoing server settings.
    In my previous replies, the method of how to find SMTP settings and how to configure has been provided.

The outgoing server information can be found by performing the following steps:
    Note the SMTP settings information that is displayed on this page.

After that, when set up Windows Live Mail for your Exchange Online account, under Outgoing server, please enter the SMTP server name, that you have gathered from the above steps.

If you have any other questions about Office 365, please feel free to post back. We will continue checking it for you.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Dave,

Is there additional assistance here? We will be more than happy to be of help.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi