No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Issue with multiple Exchange Office 365 accounts in Outlook 2010

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I am running Office 2010 on Windows 7 and I am trying to connect to 2 Office 365 Exchange accounts within our Office 365 account (i.e. 2 different email addresses that fall under the same domain in our Office 365 account).

It seems that once Outlook connects to 1 of the accounts, the other is never able to connect.  It seems to connect to the default account first, and then the 2nd Exchange account never connects.  We previously used a different Hosted Exchange provider (before Office 365) and it worked fine, so it seems that something at Office 365 is blocking this somehow ?

This is driving me crazy, so please help if you can !

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Gabriel,

I have tested my personal Office365 accounts, and they seem to be working with the hosts file entries removed.  I will be trying this on monday with my clients, and will let you know if they are all OK too.

Thanks for following this one up.

• We have now lost connection to our shared mailbox even after using the "workaround" powershell command to grant access. It now shows its status as "Updating this folder. Connected" It has the Earth icon instead of the Outlook icon but that has been like that since the powershell command was used to add the shared mailbox.

• Yep, running that powershell command will do that.

You'll have to reverse it.

• Thanks Brendan,

I used this article, help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx and these commands to reverse the process:

Remove-MailboxPermission -Identity mailbox@contoso.co.uk -User user@contoso.co.uk -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All

Remove-RecipientPermission mailbox@contoso.co.uk -Trustee user@contoso.co.uk -AccessRights SendAs

It's good to see the community helping each other out as obviously Microsoft is too busy to properly address their new product. We were once going to promote Office 365 to our clients but as there are problems with Sharepoint as well, I don't think we'll be doing that any time soon.

• Alan,

The Exchange Product Team cleaned up some corrupt Autodiscover settings that originally caused accounts to disconnect when more than one Exchange account was configued in Outlook.  You may be running into something different.  Just to be sure, check the Outlook AutoConfiguration settings.  Press the Ctrl key, right click the Outlook Icon in the Sys Tray and click Test E-Mail Autoconfiguration.

Check the Server Name and make sure it does not have any extra characters at the end.  If you see any odd characters, please copy the output on the XLM tab and private message it to me.

In case it is a different issue try using the Outlook Connectivity Tests on the Office 365 tab at www.testexchangeconnectivity.com.  

• Hi Gabriel, I think I just sent you the XML output from my machine via private message (which couldn't be harder to find by the way - you would think that there should be a link inside your profile to send a private message to you like all other forum boards have, just some constructive criticism) - anyway, we also have the problem where adding any additional mailbox to Outlook 2010 causes Outlook to stop communicating with all of the mailboxes. One mailbox works great, go to 2 mailboxes and then Outlook continually flips between "Disconnected" and "Updating folder" (though it usually never updates) and eventually it just gives up and sits at "Disconnected" for all of the mailboxes. Please let me know if you see anything suspicious in those logs (or let me know if you do not receive them). Thanks!

• Jordan,

The server settings looked good.  I did not see any corruption.  Can you please go to www.testexchangeconnectivity.com on the Office 365 tab and run the Outlook Autodiscover test and private message me the results.  If this does not reveal anything obvious please open a support incident and private message me the support case number.  We may need to do some traces to investigate further.

• My clients that have multiple Office 365 accounts are still not working even after the changes made by Microsoft.  I still have to use the hosts file hack discovered by Brendan .  Our proxy server is sn2prd0502.outlook.com

• Gabriel, did you get the results that I sent you yesterday from the testexchangeconnectivity website?

• William,

Thanks for the update.  Although the product team did clean up some corruption in autodiscover settings it seems that did not address the issue for everyone.  We have a couple of support cases with repros and getting new traces from those with the cleaned up autodiscover settings to determine the root cause.  I'll update the forum thread as this issue continues to be investigated.  

• Jordan,

I did get the autoconfiguration results you sent and there was no corruption in your autodiscover settings.  Your likely hitting the same issue we are currently investigating.  We have a couple of support cases from other customers that we are getting traces from.  I'll update the forum thread with results from that investigation as it continues.  

• Any news on this problem? Have the same problem here :(.

• I'm also still seeing the issue. I have had to revert to the host file hack again. The issue with the host file hack, is it breaks autodiscover, and this breaks lync 2010 integration with outlook. I have sent full network trace and RPC logs to MS, and they have had an engineer that has reproduced the problem sometime ago.

Maybe Gabriel can update us all with where MS are with a permanent fix as I have had a service request open since August.

• I apologize it is taking so long to make progress on the issue.  We thought we identified the problem and made some fixes to Autodiscover settings.  Since that did not address the issue we took new traces with clean Autodiscover and now escalating the issue again.  I'll update the thread again when we have more updates.

• Is there any update on this? I am still experiencing this problem!

Thanks!