No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Issue with multiple Exchange Office 365 accounts in Outlook 2010

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I am running Office 2010 on Windows 7 and I am trying to connect to 2 Office 365 Exchange accounts within our Office 365 account (i.e. 2 different email addresses that fall under the same domain in our Office 365 account).

It seems that once Outlook connects to 1 of the accounts, the other is never able to connect.  It seems to connect to the default account first, and then the 2nd Exchange account never connects.  We previously used a different Hosted Exchange provider (before Office 365) and it worked fine, so it seems that something at Office 365 is blocking this somehow ?

This is driving me crazy, so please help if you can !

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello,

I sent private message to 4 of you asking for contact info.  Due to a problem with our forums admin tool I am currently unable to send private messages to Eirik, Sk-cvk, and Alan ORiordan.  Let's start with the 4 participants and see how that goes.  I may ask the final 3 for information at a later date.

Thank you,

Todd Douglass - MSFT Support Engineer

• I thought I'd report a couple of things in case they are relevant.

1. I made a post earlier on this page that I had replaced my router and that the issue disappeared.  I later deleted it because the problem reappeared.  Changing to a better router did seem to lessen the severity of the problem, but when I still can't connect much of the time that's not much of a consolation.

2. One thing I noticed that was somewhat unusual was that I often keep my laptop next to my desktop.  I added a profile back to my laptop for my main Exchange account, and as I launched Outlook for the first time and it started syncing all of my mail to the laptop, the connection to the main Exchange account on my desktop dropped like an anchor and would not reconnect until my laptop stopped syncing.  That behavior seemed HIGHLY unusual to me, I believe I should be able to be syncing one machine with little to any affect on the other machine.

It occurred to me that the one machine syncing to Exchange causing the other machine to lose its connection to the same Exchange account is exactly what's happening when instead we're trying to access multiple accounts from the same instance of Outlook!  I'm hopeful this tidbit of info might give MS tech support some worthwhile clue about the issue.

• Has anyone been contacted or been able to resolve their issue?  I started out with great excitement over Office 365 but for this and many other reasons that excitement has changed to disappointment.  I'm ready to throw in the towel and move to another provider where my email *just works*.

• Test attachment
  • Hello David Feynman,

I went ahead and opened a service request for this issue under your name.   Thanks for responding and for providing the requested information.

To everyone in this post:

The SR I created has the symptoms from everyone in this post.  I asked David to perform some additional trouble shooting.  If anyone else wishes to run these as well that would be good.  I wouldn't run the MOSDAL logs unless you plan on opening your own Service Request so that you can include the log as an attachment in the SR.  CAUTION: Do not attach the MOSDAL logs to this forums post as it appears that attachments are visible to all.

Tests to run:

1) Test the Outlook Connection Status and E-mail AutoConfiguration.  This is done by holding down the control key and right clicking on the Outlook icon in the System Tray and selecting the "Outlook Connection Status" and then the "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" options.

2) RCA (remote Connectivity Analyzer) - available at help.outlook.com/.../dd875725.aspx.  See section "Test Outlook connectivity to a mailbox" and "Use the Outlook Autodiscover test to test Outlook connectivity to a mailbox and to verify the Autodiscover CNAME record for your domain".

3) Collect MOSDAL logs while the issue reproduces.  If possible also collect MOSDAL logs for a user that is able to connect to multiple accounts concurrently.  MOSDAL tool can be found at www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx.

Thank you,

• Hi Folks,

Is there any update on this.  I have a client with this exact problem, but because they are using P SKUs (cut down version of Office365) I can't even attempt a resolution by adjusting permissions with PowerShell.

• So, after 8 straight hours banging on this, I think I have a workable hack around the problem.....

The problem, as far as I can establish, is that the Outlook 2010 cannot save credentials into windows credential manager for two seperate Office365 mailboxes.  The most recent saved credential overwrites the older credential.

When Outlook 2010 tries to authenticate to the Office365 exchange proxy, it uses the same credentials for any mailbox that it tries to connect to on that particular proxy.  This is why people with multiple Office365 accounts in the same mail profile from different Office365 tenants can operate fine.

The hack I put in place to get around this is as follows:

The exchange proxy server I connect to is hknprd0302.outlook.com, which resolves to 111.221.66.31, so I edited my hosts file on my local machine to include the following lines:

111.221.66.31   hknprd0302.outlook.com

111.221.66.31   hknprd0303.outlook.com (note the subtle difference)

127.0.0.1   autodiscover.[mydomainname].com

Then, I adjusted one of my mail accounts exchange proxy settings to connect to hknprd0303.outlook.com, and left the other as-is.

Now, when Outlook 2010 caches the credentials for my mail accounts in windows credential manager, it can cache a seperate set of credentials for each mail account, and works perfectly.

The autodiscover.[mydomainname].com hosts entry is to stop outlook from rediscovering the correct settings and breaking again.

I haven't had a lot of sleep at this point, and have only done preliminary testing, so this utlimatly might not work out, but for now......it's holding.

I'll post back if anything changes.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Brendan,

What operating system are you using?  Was it an upgrade from an earlier OS version or new install?  I have the same Outlook configuration as you and have not had any connectivity issues.  Its two accounts on the same domain.

Can you manually add the second account in Windows Credential Manager and will that work?  

Choose to Add a Generic Credential.  

Internet or Network Address:  MS.Outlook:account@domain.com

User Name:  account@domain.com

Password:  password

For some of my accounts there are two entries.  The second one would be for the proxy.  

Choose to Add a Generic Credential.  

Internet or Network Address:  hknprd0302.outlook.com

User Name:  account@domain.com

Password:  password

• Hi Gabriel,

Unfortuntely, adding the second account in credential manager does not work.  Because the resource you are adding the credential for is the same as the previous resource, the second overwrites the first.

I have tried variations on this where I add a credentials that look like: (and many many other variations)

MS.Outlook:user1@domain.com

MS.Outlook:user2@domain.com

MS.Outlook:user1@domain.com@hknprd0302.outlook.com

MS.Outlook:user2@domain.com@hknprd0302.outlook.com

None of this works because Outlook seems to use the same credential to authenticate to the same server.  The only thing that I found that works is changing the name of the proxy that each account connects to.

FYI, I am using WIndows 7clean install with Office Professional Plus and all the latest office updates.

Another small note, prior to setting my mail profile up with this configuration, I removed ALL credentials from windows credential manager relating to my Office365 accounts.

• We're testing, and using one "user" as a shared repository of emails and contacts.

Three users: info@example.com, A@example.com and B@example.com.

Info@example.com is the shared account.

Sending and receiving emails work fine.

However, I (A@example.com) dropped severl hundred contacts into that Info's Contacts.

Outlook disconnected, but reconnected again after a few minutes.

Whenever I tried to "Send/Receive" on the folder (shift-F9) it would disconnect and reconnct.

The contacts did not synch to the server (properties showed 440 contacts locally and 0 on the server)

The other user closed Outlook, but it still took a full day to synch 440 contacts to the server.

When B@excample.com tried the same, they synched within a few minutes.

Don't know if this is the same issue that this thread is trying to solve, but thought I would mention it.

Sorry if it doesn't help.

[TaSK]

• Hello,

I created a Service Request with one of the posters in this thread that thought he had a certain repro scenario, but as soon as we started to troubleshoot we couldn't get it to reproduce (go figure...)  

Brendan,

Would you like to open a SR for this issue so that I can submit the issue?  I would like to get some log files while the issue was reproducing, and would like to see that your fix is reproducible. 

Specifically I would like to have you enable Outlook logging.  If and when you get a repro note the time and what you were doing.  That way we can correlate with the logs.

From Outlook 20120 help system "What is the Enable logging (troubleshooting) option?"

Turn on logging

1.      On the Tools menu, click Options.

2.      On the Other tab, click Advanced Options.

3.      Select the Enable logging (troubleshooting) check box, and then click OK two times.

4.      Restart Outlook.

After you restart Outlook, the words (Logging Enabled) will appear in the title bar indicating that the logging feature is turned on. From this point, every time Outlook sends or receives messages, the communication that occurs between Outlook and the e-mail server is written to a log file. In addition, the log file includes certain Calendar transactions, as described earlier in this topic.

Important   It is very important that you turn off logging after you complete your troubleshooting. If you do not turn off logging, the log files continue to increase in size.

Additional Tests to run:

1) Test the Outlook Connection Status and E-mail AutoConfiguration.  This is done by holding down the control key and right clicking on the Outlook icon in the System Tray and selecting the "Outlook Connection Status" and then the "Test E-mail AutoConfiguration" options.

2) RCA (remote Connectivity Analyzer) - available at
    help.outlook.com/.../dd875725.aspx

.  See section "Test Outlook connectivity to a mailbox" and "Use the Outlook Autodiscover test to test Outlook connectivity to a mailbox and to verify the Autodiscover CNAME record for your domain".

3) Collect MOSDAL logs while the issue reproduces.  If possible also collect MOSDAL logs for a user that is able to connect to multiple accounts concurrently.  MOSDAL tool can be found at

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx.

If anyone else is willing to get some log files while the issue is reproducing then I would like to open a SR for you as well.  Unfortunately if I can't get a reproduction with log files then there isn't much that development can do to fix the issue. 

Currently we have a problem with Private Messaging not working after about 1.5 pages of forum posts, so here is my email address if you wish to contact me (please, no SPAM...).  Please reference the Forum title, or else Forum Post 7192 in your email.

Thank you,

v-todoug@microsoft.com

• Hi Todd,

I would be more than happy to help, but I need to obtain permission from my customer first.  Once I have it, I will email you.

(note: my username has changed....a little issue with migrating from one Office365 tenant to another.)

• Brendan. Thanks so much for this tip. I was almost ready to go google :)    . But seriously great tip, it works a treat. Its mind boggling that the office 365 team hadn't allowed for this scenario. I also find it baffling that microsoft is aiming this product towards small to medium businesses and yet they still expect users to use powershell (whatever that is) to modify settings.

• Brendan,

Let me know if you are able to go ahead.  We escalated the Service Request that we created previously to the highest level of technical support.  That SR contained information from all of the posters in this thread, with the exception of the latest work by you about the different proxy addresses.  So if you want to work the issue I will create another SR and add the proxy information that you discovered.  Beyond that, I think that there is not much else to do as the appropriate people have already been informed.

Thank you,

• Todd, if Brendan has reported a fix that at least one other user is reporting also fixed the issue, can't that be forwarded on to the team that is now handling the issue so that can evaluate it and if they decide it has indeed identified the issue, then implement a fix or make a recommendation?