Office 265 Ip address for spam filter

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

My current email setup is that the email goes through a third party online spam filter before being delivered to my domain.

So the mx record for my domain points to the spam filter, which in turn points to the Ip address for my on premises exchange server,

As my company are moving to office 365, I am wondering what the IP address is for office 365.

Therefore I can just point the spam filter to my office 365 domain

Verified Answer
  • Hi craigredmos,

Thanks for your post. As the requirement, you can input the FOPE ip address into the online spam server. To get the FOPE IP address, you can resolve the  original MX record of your Office365 tenant. You can get this MX record from portal.microsoftonline.com/.../DomainManager.aspx and select your domain name ,then click on “view DNS settings”. The MX record is like <domain>.mail.eo.outlook.com

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Now resolved.

My mx record for office 365 was used in the spam filter. Now working!

All Replies
  • Hi craigredmos,

Thanks for your post. As the requirement, you can input the FOPE ip address into the online spam server. To get the FOPE IP address, you can resolve the  original MX record of your Office365 tenant. You can get this MX record from portal.microsoftonline.com/.../DomainManager.aspx and select your domain name ,then click on “view DNS settings”. The MX record is like <domain>.mail.eo.outlook.com

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• That does not answer my question. The office 365 MX record does not resolve to an IP address therefore that means I cannot use my spam filter

• Hello Craigredmos,

Does your spam filter support FQDN when configuring smarthost/connector? If yes, you can use the value of MX record for your domain in Office 365 (like,  <domain>.mail.eo.outlook.com) as the FQDN of smarthost in the Spam filter.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hello Craigredmos,

Thanks for your reply. If your anti-spam server can't accept FQDN as a server address. You can self-resolved the MX FQDN as a IP address. Because there are hundreds of IP address of FOPE server, and works for different server farm. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• My spamfilter says it accepts either Ip or host?

• so i could use my hostname which is NAME.outlook.com?

This is the hostname I used when creating a profile within outlook

• Hi craigredmos,

pod51013.outlook.com " is not the FOPE address.  Could you give me your domain address (like the character @domain.com), I can help to check your FOPE hostname or IP .

• Now resolved.

My mx record for office 365 was used in the spam filter. Now working!

• Hi Craigredmos,

Thanks for your update. We glad to know the problem was resolved. 

Alex Du