No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Managing Proxy Addresses - Staged Migration - Dirsync

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

We have just gone through a staged migration and all mailboxes have been migrated to the cloud.

We migrated from Exchange 2003 which we managed in house.

We use SSO and Dirsync.  

I have just gone through with uninstalling our on premise exchange server but have left the schema extended thinking that I would be able to manage proxy addresses, however now any new object that is created will not allow me to "establish an email address" in exchange tools the only option I have is "remove exchange attributes".

If I use adsiedit there is no Proxy address field present on the new users.

Reading this post

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/150/t/3882.aspx

Kristopher states:

As long as your Active Directory Schema is still extended you'll still have access to modify the mail and proxyAddresses attributes.  For Directory Synchronized users all modifications and property settings will have to be made on-premise.

So right now I can't make any changes to proxy addresses on new users. On existing users I can use adsi edit, if I use the normal Users and Computers tool to add a proxy address the "new" button is greyed out.

Any ideas on how you can manage proxy addresses when using dirsync if you don't have an on premise exchange server ? ? ?

Verified Answer
  • Hello Nazdog,

Yes, just as I mentioned in the previous post, you should configure/edit the ProxyAddress attribute with ADSI Edit tool, if you have no exchange server installed in on-premise domain. This is a supported method of editing user's attributes. Thank you.

Jack Sun

All Replies
  • Any ideas on how you can manage proxy addresses when using dirsync if you don't have an on premise exchange server ? ? ?

Nobody can answer this question?

• Hello Nazdog,

After you uninstalled the Exchange Server from your on-premise domain, you should be able to continue adding/editing proxy address for users from your local AD with ADSI Edit tool. Is there any error when you try to edit ProxyAddress attribute for users with ADSI Edit tool?

Note: To allow that you are able to view all attributes for the user, please make sure you have not selected the filter "Show Only attributes that have values" when using ADSI Edit.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hello Nazdog,

Can you configure the ProxyAddress attribute for users with adsi edit tool successfully now? If you need additional assistance please let us know. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Jack

I can confirm I can modify proxy addresses by using adsiedit. The problem as you described was the filter.

Can you confirm whether this is supported by Microsoft?

Is there any plans in the works to have tool that will allow you to see and modify email and proxy addresses ?

I find it dodgey having to use Adsi Edit for this kind of task and if your using DirSync this is your only option.

• Hello Nazdog,

Thank you for your update. I am glad that things are going well now.

Yes, if there is no Exchange server installed in your on-premise domain, you should configure/edit the ProxyAddress attribute with ADSI Edit tool.

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• So no tool in the works to be able to manage proxy addresses just adsi edit?

Also just want you to confirm this is a supported method?

• Hello Nazdog,

Yes, just as I mentioned in the previous post, you should configure/edit the ProxyAddress attribute with ADSI Edit tool, if you have no exchange server installed in on-premise domain. This is a supported method of editing user's attributes. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• ok thanks.

• Managing Users in Office365 in a DirSync scenario is ridiculous. Even extending your Schema doesn't allow you to manage any exchange attributes without an on premise Exchange Server.

I cannot believe ADSIEDIT is the only support way. So I need to give my helpdesk staff ADSIEDIT access ??? CMON MS!!!!

• Hello Nazdog,

Did you encounter any problem when modify ProxyAddress attribute with ADSI Edit tool? If you failed to update/configure proxy address for users, to better assist you to resolve this problem, I would suggest you to create a new thread in the forum for your problem.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jack Sun

• Yes it is possible to change Proxy Addresses using ADSIEDIT but in an enterprise environment with multiple people on a helpdesk you don't want them using it......… MS need to come up with an alternative!!

• Hello Nazdog,

Thank you for letting us know your concern.

Yes, when there is no Exchange server installed in your on-premise domain, you should configure/edit the ProxyAddress attribute for users with ADSI Edit tool. If you want to configure ProxyAddress attribute for multiple users simultaneously, for a workaround, you can do this with ldifde.exe command. For detailed information about how to modify attribute using ldifde.exe, please see article below.

How to Modify a User's E-mail Addresses by Using Ldifde
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313823/en-us

If you still have some concern about this, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at <http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135>, your feedback will be carefully handled and appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jack Sun

• Hi,

I share Nazdog's view on this. I'm actually quite shocked/disappointed to just discover this information.

This makes life so much harder than it need be. Supported is one thing, but this feels like a step backwards. Please update this thread should there be any improvement to the situation or an alternative that doesn't require ADSI Edit (or Ldifde).

Neil

• Any new mechanism for adding proxy addresses?

• Well, there's no other Microsoft supported tool to change these attributes, except for ADSI Edit.

However, there are 3-rd party tools that you can use, although those don't come free.

They usually also come with a user friendly interface, which makes things easier, as well.