No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email groups and GAL

This question is answered This question is answered

Hey guys,

Here is a bit on the my background, first of all I am a freshman studying computer engineering. So I do not have a lot of experience; however, I did work at a IT help desk for three years. I was"designated" to set this up.

Here is a bit of background on the situation, first of all the "company" isn't really a company it is not profit driven and has a VERY fluid structure (if even that). 

Alright so here is the problem. I was wondering if the GAL could be a bit less global. So what I would like is to set up "groups" that I could set users to. Because in this company not everyone knows each other and I don't want people to be able to access the entire list of addresses. So once the user is in one (or multiple) groups he/she can view all the addresses in his/her group but not the entire set.

Here is what I am thinking:

Option 1:

A way to implement what I describe above. This would be ideal

Option 2:

Create multiple GAL's in other words kinda start over for each set of users. I have set up a private domain would I still be able to use that across the different sets of users? Also would someone outside of all those users be able to have access to their GAL even though they are not a part of it?

Option 3:

Just completely disable GAL. The naming procedure is set so I guess this would be ok.

Any information would be great!

Thanks so much,

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Eichman,

Do you want to have different views of the Global Address Book (GAL) for users?

Currently, we can't create different views for the Global Address Book (GAL) in Exchange Online. The GAL is a collection of address books or address lists, and each member in your subscription will be added into the GAL automatically.

To archive your requirement, for a workaround, you can hide members in the GAL list first. And then, create different contact folder in your mailbox from Outlook client and share them to corresponding group of users. To do this,

1. Connect windows powershell to Exchange Online referring the steps mentioned in article below.

Use Windows PowerShell in Exchange Online
         http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc546278.aspx

2. Run the following cmdlet to hide user from GAL.

Set-Mailbox -Identity User@contoso.com -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

3. Create different contact folder in Outlook and share to corresponding users refer to steps in article .

Reference
    ===========
    Set-Mailbox
    http://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/a0d413b9-d949-4df6-ba96-ac0906dedae2(EXCHG.141).aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Eichman,

Thank you for your time on the troubleshooting.

The link I provided in the previous post is for Set-Mailbox cmdlet, which is used for hiding mailbox user from GAL. I am sorry for the unclear of the information about creating contact folder in outlook.

For your convenience, I would like to summarize the steps to create and share a contact folder to another user from Outlook client as follows.

1. Open Outlook client, in the Navigation Pane, under My Contacts, right click the default contact folder and select New Folder to create a new contact folder (for example, Test).

2. Right client the contact folder Test, and select "share-->share contacts".

3. In the To box, enter the name of the recipient for the sharing invitation message.

Reference
    ===========
    Share a contacts folder with others
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/share-a-contacts-folder-with-others-HA010355056.aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

All Replies
  • Hello Eichman,

Do you want to have different views of the Global Address Book (GAL) for users?

Currently, we can't create different views for the Global Address Book (GAL) in Exchange Online. The GAL is a collection of address books or address lists, and each member in your subscription will be added into the GAL automatically.

To archive your requirement, for a workaround, you can hide members in the GAL list first. And then, create different contact folder in your mailbox from Outlook client and share them to corresponding group of users. To do this,

1. Connect windows powershell to Exchange Online referring the steps mentioned in article below.

Use Windows PowerShell in Exchange Online
         http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc546278.aspx

2. Run the following cmdlet to hide user from GAL.

Set-Mailbox -Identity User@contoso.com -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

3. Create different contact folder in Outlook and share to corresponding users refer to steps in article .

Reference
    ===========
    Set-Mailbox
    http://technet.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/a0d413b9-d949-4df6-ba96-ac0906dedae2(EXCHG.141).aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hello Jack Sun,

Wow thanks for your help i am actually getting somewhere now.

1)The first problem i had was spricts were disable on my machine but instructions on how to enable them can be found here:

www.tech-recipes.com/.../powershell_enable_script_support

2) This step went very smoothly.

3) As for the third step I haven't had much time to read through the article yet but ill keep my progress posted!

Thank you so much! This is actually working well.

• Hey Jack Sun,

Alright I am pretty confused on how to proceed. The reffrence link you pasted above leads to this site:

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb123981.aspx

On this site I was not able to understand how to create a contact folder. However I did come across this site which mentions address book policy however it says that office 365 does not support this. So how do I proceed from here?

community.office365.com/.../101038.aspx

Eichman

• Hi Eichman,

Thank you for your time on the troubleshooting.

The link I provided in the previous post is for Set-Mailbox cmdlet, which is used for hiding mailbox user from GAL. I am sorry for the unclear of the information about creating contact folder in outlook.

For your convenience, I would like to summarize the steps to create and share a contact folder to another user from Outlook client as follows.

1. Open Outlook client, in the Navigation Pane, under My Contacts, right click the default contact folder and select New Folder to create a new contact folder (for example, Test).

2. Right client the contact folder Test, and select "share-->share contacts".

3. In the To box, enter the name of the recipient for the sharing invitation message.

Reference
    ===========
    Share a contacts folder with others
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/share-a-contacts-folder-with-others-HA010355056.aspx

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hi Eichman,

Any updates of the problem? Can you share the contact folders with others properly now? If you need additional assistance please let us know. Thank you.

Jack Sun

• hey jack sun,

thanks for everything i realized this solutions requirs both users to have the outlook client so i had to mess around with a VM but that will work for us!. Also this weekend was really busy with exam prep so sorry for the late reply. thank you so much for all your informaiton it was really helpfull.

Eichman

• Hi Eichman,

Thank you for your confirmation. I am glad that the information provided in the previous post is helpful. If you have any additional questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post new question in the forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Jack Sun

• Does Office 365 support Adress Book Policy like in Exchange 2010 SP2?

• Hello Waldemar B,

No, currently, the feature of Adress Book Policies (ABPs) is not available in Office 365. If you have any additional questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new question in the forum.Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Hello Jack,

is there any workaround to this scenario?

Let's say I've got two main divisions of my company and Windows Phone users connected to Exchange Online how can I create two custom adress lists so users from division no 1 will se only contacts from div no 1 and not from second one?

• Hello Waldemar B,

For your situation, as a workaround, you can refer to steps in the previous post to hide members in the GAL list first. And then, create different contact folder in your mailbox from Outlook client and share them to corresponding group of users.

Thank you.

Jack Sun