Exchange Online calendar overlay in SharePoint

This question is answered This question is answered

I'll start by clarifying our case. We have 2 companies A and B, company A is in the cloud. What they want, is that company B can view the calendars of 5 people in company A. Offcourse we can create cloudaccounts for users from B. But we would like B to have as limited amount of access as possible. So our plan was the following:

Setup a sharepoint site, create a calendar overlay of the company A employees Exchange Online. Let B book into the sharepoint calendar and sync this info back to A's Exchange Online.

How can we show the Exchange Online in Sharepoint and how do we sync back without using outlook?

Kind regards

Verified Answer
  • Hello ArneCroughs,

You are able to use the Shared Calendar in SharePoint to add events and then use the Connect to Outlook option to sync the calendar to your Outlook Desktop Application. You may then add events to that Shared Calendar in your Outlook Desktop Application which will sync to the Shared Calendar in SharePoint.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello ArneCroughs,

Unfortunately, our team does not support Exchange. Syncing to Exchange falls outside of our support boundaries.  

All Replies
  • Hello ArneCroughs,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about syncing a calendar between Exchange online and SharePoint Online.

Unfortunately, syncing between SharePoint Online and Exchange Online is unsupported however syncing calendars between SharePoint Online and the desktop Outlook application is supported.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or any additional questions.

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Would it possible to use somekind of workaround?

For example:

-Create a SharePoint calendar

-Show the Exchange Online calendar as an overlay

-Same thing the other way around, add the Sharepoint calendar as an overlay in Exchange Online

If possible, how do I do this?

• Due to this post being Idle, I suggest a different approach:

Can I open the sharepoint calendar in outlook and let it sync with outlook local there? So not the overlay but an actual sync? This should make it appear in SharePoint right?

• Hello ArneCroughs,

You are able to use the Shared Calendar in SharePoint to add events and then use the Connect to Outlook option to sync the calendar to your Outlook Desktop Application. You may then add events to that Shared Calendar in your Outlook Desktop Application which will sync to the Shared Calendar in SharePoint.

• Yes I know this, but I also need to see the synced calendar in Exchange Online and Outlook doesn't sync back to Exchange Online.

• Hello ArneCroughs,

Unfortunately, our team does not support Exchange. Syncing to Exchange falls outside of our support boundaries.  

• So is there someway to use a workaround using Google Apps? Or at least sent your SharePoint calendar to a mobile device

• Hello ArneCroughs,

If you have a calendar in SharePoint Online, you should be able to access the calendar from SharePoint Online on a mobile device depending on the type of mobile device you are using. You may check out the Service Description for supported mobile devices at the following link:

P1 Service Description

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not support third-party apps or solutions however it may be possible. You may look through the forums or through a search engine to find applicable information.  

• Jason

Thanks for your help, you can close this thread.

Kind regards