No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Can't delete files from library over 5000

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have the same problem as others I have seen in here.

We have a site library with over 6000 documents which we need to move/delete.  I have tried using Access and also the Datasheet view in order to delete the docs but to no avail.

I have tried modifiing the view to list a max of 2000 but i still receive the following:

"This view cannot be displayed because it exceeds the list view threshold (5000 items) enforced by the administrator. "

Access (I'm using 2007) will link to the library but then on opening (or trying a delete query) gives the following errors:

The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object '%name%' Make sure the object exists......

and then.

Microsoft Access can't opent the table in datasheet view.

I tried using REST and cURL to delete however I'm getting no luck on the ntlm authorisation.

I also tried using a jQuery script with REST but I don't think it likes the cross browser ajax.

Please help, I think I'm out of options.

Note: the large folders are sub folders of the library so we can't just remove the whole library.

Regards

Matt

All Replies
  • Matt,

Have you tried to view the library through explorer view?  You can also try to get access to the library through SharePoint designer and the All Files tab

• Hi Throughput,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

The issue of the 5,000 item list threshold relates to SQL Server table locking lists over 5,000 items.  Because SharePoint Online is a multi-tenant environment, resource throttling is not available. 

When resolving threshold exceeded errors, make sure that you do not have any 5,000 item lists in the recycle bin. 

At this point, the only way to get the list under the 5,000 item threshold is to manually move or delete the items.  If you are deleting items, the datasheet view of the list is going to be the most effective method as you can select and deleted a row at a time.  That is if you can get past the error: “Microsoft can’t open the table in datasheet view”.

To resolve the Datasheet view issue, make sure that you apply the latest updates and configure your computer for use with Office 365.  The following links and instructions will detail that process.

For Microsoft Office 365 for Professionals and Small Business: Click here

For Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises: Click here

If that does not solve your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

• Thanks for the responses.

Neither Explorer or Sharepoint Designer get around the 5000 limit problem.  When I try and delete the foler which contains the files within explorer I get the same error message, i.e.cant delete as it has more than 5000 files.  I did try shift-delete on the folder but this didnt make a difference.

I have again performed the workstation setup from the downloads in the home area of Office 365 and the datasheet view button still returns the following error upon opening the folder.  I can use the datasheet view on other folders now but when trying to move to the folder in question I get the following error.

-------------------------

Error

The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.

Correlation ID: c1f66310-8106-41a0-8768-02d14d23ce32

Date and Time: 15/03/2012 11:36:54 PM

-------------------------------

I am now running all other updates on this workstation but none of those running relate directly to sharepoint, office 365 or office 2007.  So I dont hold out much hope that this will change anything.

So.  How do we get rid of these things.

Note: My default view has a limit set to 2000 and i have the  "Limit the total number of items returned to the specified amount." option selected.

Surely there has to be a way of dealing with this issue.

Please help.

Matt

• Hi Matt, If you are looking to delete those items you can do so from the browser within the library. Select multiple files/folders and delete the items. Once you are under 5k items in the library you can delete it. Hope that helps!

Oliver