No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

MSNBot Crawler Issues

•  

Hello:
    We have hosted a website using Microsoft SharePoint Online services. We would like to submit this website to Bing / MSNBot for indexing.

In order to perform this indexing, I registered our domain on Bing's webmasters tools and I have downloaded the BingSiteAuth.xml file from this Bing's webmasters tools. Then I loaded this file at the desired location on our website. To be doubly safe, I have also added the tag specified by Bing on the first page of this website. When you try to access the URL of this file from web, instead of opening the file, it gives an option to save you the file. Bing search engine varification tool is designed to open the file (and not to save the file). Hence the bing webmaster tool fails to recongnize this / does not varify the site. Could you please let me know the solution to this problem?

I requested the Bing team to help me in resolving this issue. As per Bing team, it looks like issue related to SharePoint Online.

Could you please help me in resolving this issue?

Thanking you

Sincerely,

Chandrashekhar S. Joshi

• Hi Chandrashekhar S. Joshi,

This question has already existed ever, the file in the public site document library cannot be directly open. Please feel free to submit a feedback using the link below:

mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx

Thanks,

Jackie

Do you need any other help with this issue?

Thanks,

Jackie

• We built a generator that will allow you to get verified with a meta tag.

Get your Office 365 / Office Live site verified!

Keep in mind you don't need to be verified to get indexed-that will happen just as fast without verification anyway. There's not much advantage to bing verification.

• Hello Jackie Chen Support Moderator and mch:

Thank you very much for your help and support till now. Out of the 3 search engines mentioned in your above post, I could already varify 2 search engines and facing problem for Bing.

As directed in the above post Get your Office 365 / Office Live site verified!, I updated the page propoerties as shown below and then tried to varify my site for Bing. I am still facing the problem.

Could you please help / guide me in resolving this problem fo Bing?

Thanking you

Sincerely,

Chandrashekhar S. Joshi

• Chandrashekhar,

Enter the key code in the generator first- then copy the output code over to the seo box. 

• Hello mch:

Thank you very much for your help and support. I could verify my site. I was wondering about this varification process though. In case of other search engines, without any special generator, etc. I could verify them using the methodologies specified on their websites... In case of one specific search engine, I have to use external generator for varification.

Thank you once again for making this service available to all of us.

Warm Regards,

Chandrashekhar S. Joshi

• Chandrashekhar,

My understanding is the verification process is the same for Google and Yahoo as Bing. How did you verify the others? It is possible to upload an aspx page to the root of your site via Sharepoint Designer, but I'm not sure if the aspx extension would cause a problem. 

Do you need any other help with this issue?

Thanks,

Jackie

• Hi Jackie Chen Support Moderator  and mch:

Thanks a lot for all the support till now, escecially the generator provided by mch. I could generate the tags with that generator and get the website verified. You can close this issue now.

Warm Regards,

Chandrashekhar S. Joshi