No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Migrate from Inhouse to Office 365

This question is answered This question is answered

Is there any documentation out that describes the process from migrating from an inhouse SharePoint implementation to Office 365?  I am concerned mostly about how the term store and global content types would be migrated.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Jennifer,

The Office 365 support team does not maintain a list of the Office 365 partners. I recommend that you follow the web link below to the Microsoft Office 365 Partner Program website.

office365.microsoft.com/.../partners.aspx

You will find a link in the bottom right of the Microsoft Office 365 Partner Program page labeled "Find a partner now".

Thank you,

Mark

All Replies
  • Hi Jennifer

I have been using Metavis for a while now and i cannot recommend it enough it is a 5 minute install and the interface is extremly easy to migrate your content wether this be from 2003, 2007 or the file system, They also have an offer running through to May 31st that gives you 1GB of data move for free which can be found at

www.metavistech.com/.../migrate-to-office-365-sharepoint-online

I have also put some video's on my blog showing how easy it is to migrate content which can be found here www.sharepointedutech.com/.../migrating-content-to-office-365-using-metavis-migrator

I hope this helps

Dave

• With all due respect Dave, don't you work or consult for MetaVis in some way?  

How much does the service cost for say 5GB of migration?  

There is little question of whether a third party like MetaVis can handle large migrations.  The issue we, and I would bet MANY others, have is why doesn't Microsoft offer this as part of their service.  Just the economies of scale would allow millions of customers the opportunity to move to Office 365.

All third parties, including MetaVis, have to price their service based on the rules of suppy/demand.  It's the chicken and the egg ... at what price point will Partners like us actively seek out clients on WSS 3.0, SP 2007, Google, file shares, etc.

• Try MetaVis

• Hi ScottF,

I am also facing the same issue and looking out solution from MS. I don’t want to go with third party migration tool.

Did you get any kind of information on manual steps or help from MS

• Hi nimay,

As far as I can see, there is ZERO help coming directly from Microsoft. I am sure it's due to the sheer complexity and all of the combinations and permutations of SP sites.  From my perspective, it's now up to a third party competitive war as I recal reading that 90% of the new Office 365 users are SMB ... and they can NOT afford the high prices from third parties.

• Hello,

This is Cody with Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Thank you for your posts about migrating from an On-Premise SharePoint Server to SharePoint Online.

Although there is not a Microsoft service to migrate from SharePoint Server to SharePoint Online (except seeking a partner), there are several options to make the transition a bit easier:

Mapped Network Drives can be used to make transferring data easier. Information on Mapped Network Drives can be found at support.microsoft.com/.../2616712.

The "Open with Explorer" command would provide much of the same functionality. Please reference support.microsoft.com/.../2629108.

Because of the difference in features between SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online, direct transfers of lists, libraries and pages may require some rebuilding. You can find more information about the differences between SharePoint Server and SharePoint Online in the "Microsoft SharePoint Online for Enterpirses Service Description.docx" at www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx (on pages 34 through 38).

It is possible to transfer certain user information using DirSync, which send Active Directory information from SharePoint 2010 Server to SharePoint Online. This functionality would require the Active Directory to be maintained on a server, though, as changes made in SharePoint Onilne would not sync backwards to the server.

You are always welcome to seek third-party transition tools, but please keep in mind that these cannot be supported by SharePoint Online Support if any errors occur during migration.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

Cody Spears

Microsoft SharePoint Online Support

• Hi,

I am planning on writing up a good detailed article this week on Sharegate's blog on migrating to Office 365, the technical steps. I'll come back and link the article.

//Update// Here is the start of my Migrate to Office 365 Series for SharePoint.

As for migration tools, Sharegate can do the SharePoint Migration or File Shares to Office 365 as well. There are 2 price plans.

Sharegate Lite is just for content (files and items) and is 695$

Sharegate comes with a full set of features to migrate Sites, Content Types and more and is 1995$

More info here: http://en.share-gate.com/