No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Enabling SharePoint Online for External User Access

• Office 365 has finalized its feature set and the way in which we manage SharePoint Online.  As a result the way in which you enable and invite external users (non-Office 365 users), so the following is a list of steps to help you accomplish this goal:

Problem

When you want to invite someone from outside of your Office 365 environment to collaborate in your SharePoint Online website, there are a few configurations you will need to do, in order to allow sending invitations to these external users.  If these are not performed you may find the following error when sending a SharePoint Online External user a site invitation:

Cause

The General Availability (GA) refresh bits may have disabled the External User Invitations site collection feature, requiring you to re-enable this function.

Enable External Access to your SharePoint Online Website

Browse to your SharePoint Online Tenant Admin website, using a similar URL:

1. https://domain-admin.sharepoint.com
      1. Enter your Office 365 Tenant Global Admin credentials

1. Click the Manage Site Collections link

2.  Click the Settings Link à Manage External Users

3.  Click Allow to enable Site Collections to send external users invitations to the SharePoint Online Website

• Browse to your SharePoint Site collection where you want to invite an external user and click Site Actions à Site Settings and click the Site Collection Features to Activate the External User Invitations feature

• Click the Site Actions à Share Site option

1. Site Actions à Share Site

2.  Enter the LiveID you want to invite and click Send

3.  You will be given a response to your send operation

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Ryan,

Thank you for providing us the steps to enable SharePoint Online for External User Access.

I think others may benefit from the suggested steps.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Kylin Yang.

• Is this activated by default on the P1 plan? I'm not sure if I went to my P1 plan's site collection's settings before and activated the feature, but a quick check just now showed me that it's active.

• Hi Rene,

You are right, this is activated by default on the P1 plan.

P1 plan's Microsoft Online Portal screen is a little difference from E3 Plan. Ryan provide us an E3 plan example.

Thanks,

Kylin Yang.

• Suggestion: fix the graphic related to Step 1 so that the InfoPath Web Service Proxy link is not highlighted. Makes Step 1 a hair confusing.

• Aber wir haben tausende von Besuchern auf der Website, die unsere Prospekte herunterladen sollen!

Wir  kennen diese Leute noch gar nicht!

Also haben wir auch vorher noch keinerlei Daten von denen!

Diese Prospekte bzw. diese Druckbibliothek müssen wir freigeben können!

Frage: Ist Office 365 für eine so normale übliche Websitefunktion nicht brauchbar???