No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Administration of a new website

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I have just createed a website on my sharepoint online administration tool. How do i manage or administrate this webside? It tells me that this is not my site but website. After i click on it, i dont get any ribbon as by my sharepoint sites :)

thanks for answer

ricky

Verified Answer
  • Hi Ricky,

Click on the link below and then click on Member Login

itbubble-web.sharepoint.com

If this will be the website you are going to use for your domain, then you will need to make further changes.  You will need to add a new domain (which is creating a sub domain).  The domain that you would add would be www.xxxxxx.com.  Then via the SharePoint Site collections manager you can then update the URL by sellecting the radio box, click on Website Doamins button and selecting the www address.  Don not do this without adding a CNAME record at your host;

Further details here

office.microsoft.com/.../set-up-a-public-website-HA102476205.aspx

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Ok, Sharepoint there are two types of sites.  

Type 1 Website (This is the public facing wesite).  This can be asigned you www.domainname.com address.

Type 2 Site Collections (These are the Team Sites).  These are not assigned a web address (and cannot be).  These are private sites that only registered users or invited external people can access.

:-)  Hope this helps

All Replies
  • It sounds like you have created a Public Facing Website.  When you go to the site do you have a link "Members Login"?  If you click on this link you can then select each page to edit.

• Hi ricky,

I would like to confirm with you that which plan are you using?

In addition, could you provide the screenshot about the issue you met?

Thanks,

Kevin Cui

• hello richard,

I can manage the website properties by clicking in sharepoint central administration. This give option properties for my website (not site collections!). i have a new website with a link http://xxx-web.sharepoint.com but my question is :) ...where is the administration? :)

in case of site collection, i get my ribbon, where i edit my site, but in this case i have only website :)

thank you

richard:)

• we are using Microsoft Office 365 (plán E3)

• Hi Ricky,

Click on the link below and then click on Member Login

itbubble-web.sharepoint.com

If this will be the website you are going to use for your domain, then you will need to make further changes.  You will need to add a new domain (which is creating a sub domain).  The domain that you would add would be www.xxxxxx.com.  Then via the SharePoint Site collections manager you can then update the URL by sellecting the radio box, click on Website Doamins button and selecting the www address.  Don not do this without adding a CNAME record at your host;

Further details here

office.microsoft.com/.../set-up-a-public-website-HA102476205.aspx

• Ricky,

If you are reading the response in email, I have updated the last post.  You will want to view this online

• Thank you Richard,

was first time i worked with it. I heard that in old versin 2010 had to buy this license for several thousand eur :). now i see.

For me is this post solved.

thank you again richard

• It has been a pleasure.  Good luck.

• one small question ...

if i decide to use this sherpoint website as my xxxxx.com site. Will it be readable by google etc.?:)

is it like sharepoint site www.ferrari.com? ::)

• Hi ricky,

Thanks for your update.

What do you mean by saying using SharePoint website as my xxxx.com site? Could you please provide detailed description?

Thanks,
    Kevin Cui

• Hi Ricky,

Yes but there are a few steps that need to be taken first.  You will need to add a sub domain, if you havn't already got one.  This sub domain would be like www.ferrari.com, then you would update the domain website via the site collections to use this sub domain address, then add the CNAME recors at your registrar.  This is breif instructions, and feel free when ready to come back for step by step instructions.

• i am sorry :)  "http://www.webname.com"

www.ferrari.com is a common website using sharepoint 2010 external site.

In this case of sharepoint online website- does it means the same? is it a standart web domain where anybody access? or it is just for a sharepoint members (user who have account in sharepoint online).

• Ok, Sharepoint there are two types of sites.  

Type 1 Website (This is the public facing wesite).  This can be asigned you www.domainname.com address.

Type 2 Site Collections (These are the Team Sites).  These are not assigned a web address (and cannot be).  These are private sites that only registered users or invited external people can access.

:-)  Hope this helps

• and yes when the public website is setup properly it will eventually be shown in google as http://www.domainname.com (and not domainname-web.sharepoint.com)