No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

A Record Characters

This question is not answered This question is not answered

Good day,

I am attempting to put in an A record with the following as the hostname/alias:

resolve-to.www

However, when I attempt to do so, I get the following error:

"The host name that you typed is not valid. Host names must have at least one character, and can include only letters, numbers, and hyphens. A hyphen cannot be the only character, nor can it be the first or last character in the host name."

However, I can added A records with hyphens and periods at all of my other hosts that I work with, Microsoft is the only one that is not allowing me to make that entry.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

RY

All Replies
  • @ RY,

The A record is "@".

You can refer to the article below:

community.office365.com/.../host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• This is for a different usage.  I already have the typical @ record.

In this case, I need to enter in the above noted DNS entry in addition to the @ record.

• As far as I know, it's not supported in 365 currently.

• There's no need to use 365's limited dns service. Switch nameservers back to your registrar (or 3rd party host) and you can add whatever they will allow.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi RY,

How are things going?
    If you  need more help, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
    Larry He

• This is not supported with our SOHO account, so I guess we will need to upgrade to Enterprise, correct? (to be able to manage our own DNS?)

• Hi Rsales,

When you add an A record or CNAME record for your domain, you're just adding the bit before the '.domain.com' part. So if you wanted to add a CNAME of mycname.domain.com, you'd enter it in the wizard as a CNAME of mycname, and it would automatically become mycname.domain.com when you added it. The main difference between the two options is that the A record needs to point to an IP address whereas the CNAME needs to point at a domain name.
    You may refer to the link below:
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/domains_in_office_365/host-your-website-with-another-provider.aspx

Thanks,
    Eric Sun

• Thanks Eric...I appreciate that, but your answer misses the mark completely.

I have a need for a patricular entry "resolve-to.www" that will point to an IP address.  It needs to be this specific A record "resolve-to.www".  However, as I mentioned, the 365 domain manager will not allow me to enter this as an A name record (despite all of my other web hosts allowing that entry).

• Hi RSales,

I'm a P1 user too, you want to add a A record to Office 365, you means the A record like the picture below:

I have just add it and point to an IP address, it's OK.

• BigFish, thanks, but it won't let me add the period in it though, which is what I need for my application.

• Hi RSales,

I notice that you want to add A record like “resolve-to.www”, the A record in my screen shot isn’t the same as yours. As far as I know, Office 365 doesn’t support this kind of A record, I think you can refer to mchv2.0’s advice, or you can upgrade to Enterprise.

• Hi RSales,

How are things going? Is above information useful for you?
    If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Eric Sun