No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Edit website not working

This question is answered This question is answered

When I click on edit website I get:

The page isn't redirecting properly,  Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.  This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

Do I just need to wait a bit longer?  Yesterday I redirected my custom domain etc and was getting a 404 error when I clicked on "edit website".  If I just need to wait a bit longer that's fine but I'm concerned that this may be another problem and I really need to get my website up and running ASAP.  I get the same thing if I click on team site or shared documents.  I also can't sign in to Lync because it says the server is temporarily unavailable.  I have ready all the transition info carefully but I do not know how to add URL's to my MS Firewall and all the online guidance I can find is for the firewall in XP which does not seem to be the same as the one I have on Windows 7.  I can live without Lync but I can't operate my business without my website so would really appreciate some help sorting out the problem.

Whilst I appreciate it's not the fault of the support team on this site, I just can't halp but have a bit of a rant about this situation that we've been forced into:

Yesterday I took up the 6 month transitional offer from OLSB to 365.  I have to say that considering this is a transition from one MS product to another and our operating system, outlook etc are also MS I really don't see why it couldn't have been made a bit easier.  This has to be the most frustrating and time consuming thing I have ever done on a PC.  My husband and I are both sole traders with seperate OLSB accounts to host our websites and Email and we're not even half way through sorting my account out, I am dreading having to do it all again for his.  I really don't mind paying a few pounds a month for the hosting but couldn't MS have just started charging us for OLSB or made the transition possible by an automated process.  In addition, the fact that as I understand it we will lose our google ratings and all the SEO work we've done is really going to hit us.  I thought MS was supposed to be full of some of the best IT people in the world, surely they could have come up with something better.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Gemma,

Most of the time the 404 error is caused by clicking a link that points to the original domain when using vanity domain or the sites haven’t finished provisioning.

The redirect is normally caused by the http://<domain>.sharepoint.com or your vanity domain not being in your trusted sites.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Update:  I was briefly able to access the edit website tool this evening.  Half way through customising the first page it came up with an error and said that changes could not be saved.  Now when I try to get back in I'm back to the "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.  This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies." error.

Please can someone help me to sort this out.

Thanks

• Hello Gemma,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about being able to edit your website.

Once the domain is changed, it may take 24 hours for the links to change and for you to be able to access your website.

You may run into formatting issues if you are directly pasting the Office Live website data onto the Office 365 website. You may try pasting text into a program such as notepad to remove the formatting before pasting it onto the Office 365 public-facing website.

Are you able to open the website in a different browser?  

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• I am getting exactly the same!!! Now I have no website whatsoever and my website I copied and pasted over to 365 months ago has disappeared.  I have emailed from yesterday but no one has come to my rescue yet.  I too am totally frustrated at having been put in this position too, I really would have thought Microsoft could have changed it over for me.  I had no problem copying and pasting my website over - that was the easy part!! The rest of it has been a complete nightmare and whether I have any website at the end of it all - remains to be seen :-(

Lori

• Hi Jason,

Thanks for replying.

My question was more whether both the redirect error and the 404 error were attributable to the domain change or whether that was why I had the 404 error and the redirect error was something different.

We had also tried to access the website from other PC's and our mobiles and got similar error messages.  For example the mobile phones said something like "cannot access, too many redirects".

However, as another update:   yesterday I was able to access "edit website" and rebuild my website.  I then checked on my website directly (i.e. not through 365) several times during the day and it seemed to be up and running fine.  We also had it checked from a couple of other locations and all seemed well.  

This morning I tried to open it and got a 'page not available' message.  I've just checked it now so I could give you the correct error message and it's working again.  I'm a little concerned about this - some people on the forums seem to suggest their websites are up and down on an almost daily basis.  Is there a problem with the website hosting?  My business runs on mostly repeat  business and will survive if there is a little bit of a teething problem, but our next job is to move my husbands website and his business is completely different.  If his website is not running consistently he will not get new work and the business (and we) will seriously suffer.  We already think we're going to have a problem because he is likely to loose his google rankings but we cannot afford for his website to be down even for a short period.  Please can you let me know if there is a problem with the hosting and whether my website should now be OK or whether I can expect it to keep dissapearing and the reason for this.

Lori,  I really feel for you.  We only started this process at the weekend and are already pulling our hair out.  To be honest I had thought that it would be fairly automated so weren't in any hurry to get started - we had until the 30th april!  It was only because I decided to have a scan though the transitional guide and realised how much work was involved that we're doing it now.  I am so glad I did!  We had just assumed that as MS were telling us that OLSB was closing and we needed to use 365 instead the transfer would be automatic and almost a case of pushing a button. I hope you get your website sorted - if there are hosting problems that are more than very short term we'll have to move the sites (again!) - I don't think we have a choice if we want the businesses to survive.

Many thanks to you both for the replies.

Gemma

• Hello Gemma,

Most of the time the 404 error is caused by clicking a link that points to the original domain when using vanity domain or the sites haven’t finished provisioning.

The redirect is normally caused by the http://<domain>.sharepoint.com or your vanity domain not being in your trusted sites.

• Yes this what happened to me.  I could not understand why the link to my new sharepoint website was not accessible after I changed my domain name, when I had been using this link for months for copying and pasting my website over.  When I searched on Google for the microsoft online sharepoint website I signed in via this way and I was then able to access my website I had created.  Something so simple really, but a major nightmare when you don't realise this can happen.  

After I discovered this error my website is now up and running perfectly and even Google search engine has found my site.  So after days of stress and migraines it did finally work!!!

All I will say is thank goodness for the video that was available, without this I definitely would not have managed to change my domain name.  I minimised this video along with other pages I was instructed to open.  You have to be careful, take your time (it took me all in 2 hours)!!! but following each instruction bit by bit, stopping and starting the video at the appropriate times and it was the most valuable tool to enable me to do this.

Gemma, I hope this has helped you.

Lori Smith

• Hi, I think it's working OK now, thanks Jason for your help and Lori to for your replies.  Fingers crossed it all keeps working.

Many thanks

Gemma

• I am having exactly the same problem when I try to edit my website I get this message: "Oops! This link appears to be broken."

I have no idea how to access my website because I need to update some of my information.  I am thorougly appalled by Microsoft for putting me throught this ordeal of having the change DNS to Melbourne IT (their helpdesk is a joke and it costs a fortune to call them from the UK).  It is also shameful that I have to pay them about £50 a year for Office 365 which I don't need.

Can someone please tell me know to edit my website???

• Hi Gillian log in via this link and keep it on your favourites, much quicker to find.

www.microsoft.com/.../sharepoint-online.aspx

Lori

• Hello GillianWales,

It may take up to 24 hours after switching to a vanity domain for your links to update to the correct URL and for you to be able to access your website.

• I am having the same problem with a client website, we had it working then it stopped working and has never come back online, we have had the registrar reset the DNS settings several times the most recent was 1 week ago but the site is still not viewable or editable.  www.valdostaautosolutions.com if you would like to take a look.

Thanks

• Hello WebmasterM,

Please make sure to complete the following items (for a p1 account):

1)      Verify your domain in the domain section of the Microsoft Online Portal

2)      Change the name servers at your domain registrar to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com

3)      Go back to the domain section of the Microsoft Online Portal and click change address to choose the vanity domain

After these changes are made, it may take 24 hours for your links in the portal to update to the vanity domain URLs and for you to be able to access your public-facing website and team site.

• Hi Jason,  I have done all of the above steps and had the registrar reset the dns several times but I am still unable to view or edit the site.

any suggestions what to try next?  Thank You

• Hello WebmasterM,      

The steps in the above post and below are for a Professional and Small Business account (P1). Please notify me if you have an Enterprise account.

When I look up your domain, the server can’t find your URL.

I apologize for the inconvenience however please run through the steps again.

After having your domain verified on Office 365, please change the name servers at your registrar. This should be the only change needed at your domain registrar after it is verified in Office 365. It may take 72 hours for this to complete depending on your domain registrar.

After you completed the above items, click change address in the domain section of the portal to choose your vanity domain.

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

• Hello WebmasterM,

Did you have any further questions?

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.