Refinement Panel Web Part / Search / Taxonomy Management

• Firstly, some feedback - when I create a new Private Site Collection (via the SharePoint Online Admin centre);

* If I use the Team Site template, I can access the Term Store Management (Site Settings -> Site Administration -> Term Store Management
    * If I use the Document Workspace template, I don't appea to be able to access Term Store Management

Why is the term store seemingly not available for a Document Workspace template - seems odd? Can I turn it 'on'?

Anyway, some related questions:

1. If I create custom, global Site Columns (Site Settings -> Galleries -> Site Columns), is there any way I can modify the Refinement Panel Web Part xml to display these columns instead of showing the OOTB refiners? Out of interest, I have turned OFF all Searchable Columns except my own custom columns (Site Settings -> Site Administration -> Searchable columns) and am now looking to link the remaining columns with the Refinement Panel xml.

2. If I go down the Term Store / Managed Metadata path, I know I can easily change the Refinement Panel xml to display manaaged metadata, and it works great. However, managed metadata input is very slow because these columns are read-only in the datasheet view; are there any moves afoot to have this fixed? I seems to me a waste of time and effort to develop a workaround if a fix is imminent.

3. Based on default site collection templates, Search Collection results are linked to the page /_layouts/OSSSearchResults.aspx. Why is the Refinement Panel Web Part not configurable except via SharePoint designer? It seems to me that if this page had a web part style configurable Refinement Panel, there would be little need for a Basic Search Centre except for ultra customised pages.

4. Trying to use / configuring Site Scopes is still showing an error (-> Site Collection Administration -> Search Scopes). I am aware that this is a known issue - any estimate on when this will be fixed?

I am confident most of the answers will probably be along the lines of 'not just yet, but later' - however just wish to confirm my thoughts.

Many thanks. 

• Hello WhoompIS,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about the term store management and Refinement panel web part.

The term store management should be available for the document workspace. The Term Store Management depends on the Taxonomy feature to be activated. You will have to start a service a request for this issue since you will have to activate the feature in the central administration and the customer does not have access to this. It is only available for the on-premise version.

For the rest of your questions:

1. For questions 1 and 2, you may be able to edit  the XSL and parameters when you click web part properties however editing the code is unsupported by our team
    2. For question 3, you are able to edit the XLS in the XLS Editor when you click web part properties
    3. For question 4, we do not have a time frame for this issue to be fixed

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hello WhoompIS,

Did you find the above post helpful in resolving your issue?

• Thanks Jason

The term store management should be available for the document workspace. The Term Store Management depends on the Taxonomy feature to be activated. You will have to start a service a request for this issue since you will have to activate the feature in the central administration and the customer does not have access to this. It is only available for the on-premise version.

Fair enough. It just seems weird to me that the Term Store is avaiable by default when I use a template to create a Team Site, but not when I create a Document Workspace.

1.For questions 1 and 2, you may be able to edit  the XSL and parameters when you click web part properties however editing the code is unsupported by our team

OK.

2.For question 3, you are able to edit the XLS in the XLS Editor when you click web part properties

Err, I don't think is the case for the page /_layouts/OSSSearchResults.aspx, except by SharePoint Designer.

3.For question 4, we do not have a time frame for this issue to be fixed I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

OK.

• Hello WhoompIS,

Question #3: Yes, I was able to edit it on the home page not the search page so I apologize for the miscommunication.

• Hello WhoompIS,

Did you have any further questions?

• Hello Jason

Does a service request to activate the taxonomy feature imply any costs? Would i have to start a new request for every site I create or would new websites inherit these settings?

Thanks,

Toaothink

• Hello Toaothink,         

There is no additional cost for Service Requests. Each site collection would have to have the feature activated. I am unsure if you would have to start a new service request for each however it is possible.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

• Hello Jason

How do I start a service request? I cannot find any information about it. Or is it because I am still on Microsoft Office 365 Trial (Plan P1) that I cannot start such a request?

Thanks in advance,

Toaothink

• Hello Toaothink,

Unfortunately, there is no term store for the P1 account. The term store is only part of the Enterprise account.

Per the Service Description:

Customers who purchase Microsoft Office 365 for professionals and small businesses have the Microsoft Office 365 Community (www.community.office365.com) available as the primary way to have technical and billing issues resolved. Telephone support for any technical questions is not provided in the cost of the subscription.

You may go to the following link to download the service description for the P1 account:

P1 Service Description

• Hello Toaothink,

Did you have any further questions?

• Hello Jason

No, your reply was pretty clear. What a shame I'm not gonna be able to use the term store - I love that feature! :-(

Thanks,

Toaothink