No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Public Website Anonymous User Permissions Not Working

This question is not answered This question is not answered

While editing the home page of the public site and changing a theme the site locked up and I had to close the browser.  Upon returning the public part of the site (Home, About Us, Site Map, etc) was trashed and would not load.  It continued to generate errors and displayed no content.

Following Microsoft recommendations, I went to /_layouts/settings.aspx and clicked on "Reset to Site Definition", selecting the option to "Reset all pages in this site to site definition version."  This reset the 4-page page public facing content and I thought all was well.

However, I realized that this process ruined anonymous access in the process.  When logged in, the public site loads fine, however, when accessing the public site through an Incognito Chrome tab the public site requires login.

I looked in /_layouts/users.aspx and there seems to be no way to reenable anonymous acces.  Does anyone know how to solve this.  Is there a way to more or less totally remove all sharepoint content and recreate it without having negative consequences? 

All Replies
  • What do you see in /_layouts/user.aspx?

It should show:

Name Type Permission Levels
     Anonymous Users
    Anonymous Users Entire Web site

• When I go to <top level site>/_layouts/user.aspx it does not show Anonymous Users at all.  It shows...

Members  SharePoint Group  Contribute  

Owners  SharePoint Group  Full Control  

Tenant_Users (c:0-.f|rolemanager|<a really long SID here>)  Domain Group  Contribute  

Viewers  SharePoint Group  View Only  

Visitors    SharePoint Group  Read  

Web Site Designer    SharePoint Group  Design  

I see no way to that I can reset the permissions back to default myself.  I've inquired with Microsoft if there is a way to simply restore the entire sharepoint site collection(s) back to the way it was 2 weeks ago during initial setup.  This would, however, be a grim solution if we had put any substantial amount of work into the site content.  

• Hi,

Based on my research, there are some problems after using "Reset to Site Definition".

Based on the current situation, please provide some information for us in private message to help you to re-enable anonymous access.

To see the private message:

1. Please go to ”Your details” section on the right side of the community site.

2. Click Private messages.

3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

Thanks,

Claud Wang

• Hi,

Currently, I haven't received the reply in private message.
    Is everything working properly now or do you need further assistance?

If you haven't see the private message:
    1. Please go to  ”Your details” section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.
    I'm very glad to help you.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Hello,

I've checked your service request status and I'm very glad to find that the issue has been fixed.
    In addition, do you need other assistance?

Thanks again for your understanding and support,
    Claud