No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Your message can't be delivered because delivery to this address is restricted

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

We have just moved to Office 365. A colleague of mine got the above error when she sent an email using her office email account to a distribution group which she is a member of. Other colleagues did not have the problem. The distribution group's "Delivery Management" has the option "Only senders inside my organization" selected, which seems to be correct. Would appreciate it if anyone can advise.

Chew

All Replies
  • Hi Chew,

Based on your description, I would like to confirm more information:

1. This colleague is your internal or external contact?

2. Please try to use the colleague’s email account to send email to other office 365 email account.

When your colleague’s email account sent an email to the distribution group, I think there would an non-delivery report (NDR), please post the non-delivery report on this thread, we can trouble the issue with you.

You can try to check if there are some settings on the distribution group, especially the settings of Delivery Management. You can refer to the article for the detailed information:

help.outlook.com/.../ms.exch.ecp.EditDistributionGroup.aspx

Thanks,

Anna Shi

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Chew,

How are things going on your side? If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• Hi all,

The problem was somehow solved when we tried it again later. The only thing I did was to change Delivery Management to "Senders inside and outside of my organization" and back to "Only senders inside my organization". Fyi, the colleague is an internal contact and has no problem sending email to other Office 365 account. I'm wondering if this is a bug.

Chew

•  

Hi Chew,

I’m very glad to hear that the issued has been resolved.

For this issue, the ‘Senders inside and outside of my organization’ and ‘Only senders inside my organization’ are related to the attribute ‘RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled’.

For more detailed information, you can refer to :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125178.aspx

Thanks,

Vivian Wang

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Chew,

I am writing to follow up with the progress of this issue, did Vivan's post answer your questions? Do you  need any further assistance?If you have any other questions, please feel free to post here. We are happy to assist you.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• Hi Vivian,

Thank you for your reply. I'm using the Admin tab in the Office 365 portal for administration. Can I access the ‘RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled’ attribute from there?

Chew

• Hi Chew,

We cannot access the “RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled” attribute from the Admin page on Office 365 portal for administration. You can use PowerShell to configure distribution group properties. For detailed information you can refer to the link in Vivian’s last post.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• Hi Chew,

Just checking in to see whether the information was helpful.Please let us know whether you would like additional help.

Thanks,

Anna Shi

• Hi Vivian

I'm a little confused as usual.  I came to this thread from its title while investigating a group issue with Office 365.  Using the information in this link:

office.microsoft.com/.../create-a-distribution-group-2-33-RZ103029526.aspx

I created the distribution groups via the admin console without any problem then went on to the next section "Create a shared mailbox with PowerShell" Everything went fine until I got to the line in PowerShell "New-Mailbox -Name "Office"  etc.

I got an error to say that the mail box already exists, probably because I created it in the first part of the instruction.  The errors continued as I tried to follow the rest of the article and set the mailbox permissions, as I was told that the mailbox didn't exist or the distribution group didn't exist.

I sent emails internally to the group which worked fine but I got the error "Your message can't be delivered because delivery to this address is restricted." (hence this post) when trying to send from my Gmail account.

It's great having all these articles and instructions out there that either don't work or apply to systems that have changed.  It keeps me in work after all, but it would be better if it wasn't so time consuming don't you think?

The up side is that I can now happily create internal only distribution groups in Office 365 and I just need to figure out how to set the permissions on the ones I want to be publicly accessible.