No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email Accounts

This question is answered This question is answered

I can send email via a new email account that I have created to a domain that I have just verified in 365.  However, when I send an email back I get the following error message:

550 550 Administrative prohibition (state 14)

Question- What is preventing the new email account from receihving incoming mail and what do I have to do to resolve it?

Regards

Mitch

Verified Answer
  • onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

Just to verify that you are a P plan, right? Only change the name servers if you are on a Small Business Plan. Also note that you will have to add any custom DNS records into the DNS manager that Microsoft provides. Click on the domain name and DNS tab.

• Yep. You have to change the name servers on the DNS registar to the ones listed in the KB that I sent to you.

Looks like you are not getting email in because your MX repord isnt setup. Changing the name servers and letting Microsoft manage your DNS automatically will allow email to flow in.

All Replies
  • When did you verify the domain? Give it some time, 4hrs. Did you change the name servers to the Microsoft DNS servers?

Sometimes this is just a timing thing as the configuration is being replicated across the Microsoft back end.

• Hi Kelsey

Plenty of time to verify.  I have not changed to the MS DNS servers - where can I find the diresction?

Regards

Mitch

• onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549203.aspx

Just to verify that you are a P plan, right? Only change the name servers if you are on a Small Business Plan. Also note that you will have to add any custom DNS records into the DNS manager that Microsoft provides. Click on the domain name and DNS tab.

• There is also this site where you can test inbound and outbound mail flow from Office 365.

This is a Microsoft site. - www.testexchangeconnectivity.com

• Hi Kelsey,

Am on trial subscription for P1 plan.  My domain has been verified.  In the MS DNS manager it states 'There are no Custom DNS records to display'.  Do I have to go to my hosting website and change the DNS settings to reflect those detailed in the MS DNS manager?

Mitch  

• Yep. You have to change the name servers on the DNS registar to the ones listed in the KB that I sent to you.

Looks like you are not getting email in because your MX repord isnt setup. Changing the name servers and letting Microsoft manage your DNS automatically will allow email to flow in.

• Hi Mitch,

Just checking in to see whether the previous information was helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine