No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Protection for Office 365 - BYOD

This question is answered This question is answered
What do you think of the risks of the companies that use BYOD(bring your own device) with Office 365? What positions should be taken to ensure data security by IT expert? I'm asking this because it is being much discussed in my country and there is many different positions.
Verified Answer
  • Hi Angelino,

Seems to me the Enterprise version as safeguards built in to wipe infor from phone, not sure about P1 small business though. I have a Nokia Windows Phone, using a browser I can log-in and see where my phone is, and wipe it completely from that web site.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Many organisation do not implement any strategic planning, especially with BYOD.  I don't think you can beat the old fasion IT department that would ensure a data wipe is done, then have an employee marched off the premisses.  Organisations do not seem to appreciate the dangers of not managing IT Policies and equipment (including BYOD).  It is very well saying that users must delete data when leaving, but in practice this is never done.  It is not just a case of managinging Phone devices but managing BYOD Laptops and including home computers.  When set to connect to email servers these devices also will cache confidential data.

When looking at security, most organisations will think of external hacking, but it is the policies that they do not enforce and manage that are the biggest risk.

All Replies
  • Hi Angelino,

Seems to me the Enterprise version as safeguards built in to wipe infor from phone, not sure about P1 small business though. I have a Nokia Windows Phone, using a browser I can log-in and see where my phone is, and wipe it completely from that web site.

• Thank you Robert!

This is an important point, so that IBM has a program that it installs on all smartphones so that when the employee leaves the company to wipe all data and also block access to programs that store data in clouds managed by competing companies!

How to monitor devices with different systems and manage internal files used in external locations?

The information shared by employees may end up in foreign hands? And  the federation system of Office 365 can manage these risks?

Many questions!

• Many organisation do not implement any strategic planning, especially with BYOD.  I don't think you can beat the old fasion IT department that would ensure a data wipe is done, then have an employee marched off the premisses.  Organisations do not seem to appreciate the dangers of not managing IT Policies and equipment (including BYOD).  It is very well saying that users must delete data when leaving, but in practice this is never done.  It is not just a case of managinging Phone devices but managing BYOD Laptops and including home computers.  When set to connect to email servers these devices also will cache confidential data.

When looking at security, most organisations will think of external hacking, but it is the policies that they do not enforce and manage that are the biggest risk.

• Its right, Richard!!!

Many IT experts do not believe that sleeping with the enemy. The danger is always outside the circle of business and no one looks for employees and partners. Not that they are bad people, but the repetitive handling of confidential files can generate risk.

Thanks for your answer!!!