No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Blocking users on future date

This question is answered This question is answered

I'm looking for a way to block a user on a future date, similar to the Expire function in AD.  We are not currently using dirsync.

Thanks for your help

Verified Answer
  • Hi XPO_Chris,

Do you mean that if we can set password expire for a user on a future date, and then the user couldn’t log in Office 365 Online Portal or use Office 365 services? Currently, it’s available to configure password expire or never expire. By default, the password expiry duration is set to 90 days and is not configurable. However, it’s not available to configure the password expire on a future specific date directly.

For the detailed information, you can refer to Office 365 Password Policy.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/5/1754A668-6673-4E5A-A034-F8C7758E10BE/Office%20365_Password_Policy_6-20-2011.docx

If you prefer to remove the Office 365 service for a user on a future date as administrator, you can you can configure an appointment in your Outlook to notice the action. When reaching that day, you can remove the licenses for that user and then remove the accounts from the user list manually.

If the above information doesn’t answer your question, please provide the detailed description about your requirement.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi XPO_Chris,

Currently, it’s not available to configure the expiration as you mentioned on cloud side in Office 365. If you prefer to management such users as AD, you can deploy a hybrid environment and create these users in AD. Then you can configure their expiration as AD management.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

All Replies
  • Hi XPO_Chris,

Do you mean that if we can set password expire for a user on a future date, and then the user couldn’t log in Office 365 Online Portal or use Office 365 services? Currently, it’s available to configure password expire or never expire. By default, the password expiry duration is set to 90 days and is not configurable. However, it’s not available to configure the password expire on a future specific date directly.

For the detailed information, you can refer to Office 365 Password Policy.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/5/1754A668-6673-4E5A-A034-F8C7758E10BE/Office%20365_Password_Policy_6-20-2011.docx

If you prefer to remove the Office 365 service for a user on a future date as administrator, you can you can configure an appointment in your Outlook to notice the action. When reaching that day, you can remove the licenses for that user and then remove the accounts from the user list manually.

If the above information doesn’t answer your question, please provide the detailed description about your requirement.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Thanks, but I'm looking for a way to set the expiration and forget it.  If I know a user is leaving in 2 weeks, I'd like to set their account to auto-expire on that date.  This can be easily done in a normal AD/Exchange environment, but I can't seem to find a way in O365.  Any ideas?

• Hi XPO_Chris,

Currently, it’s not available to configure the expiration as you mentioned on cloud side in Office 365. If you prefer to management such users as AD, you can deploy a hybrid environment and create these users in AD. Then you can configure their expiration as AD management.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi XPO_Chris,

I would like to follow up with the question you posted previously. Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Unfortunately it does.

• Hi XPO_Chris,

I am very glad to hear that the information provided was useful.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post a new question in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly. In addition, you may also find useful information on the websites below:

For Office 365 Enterprise: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/default.aspx

Thanks,
    Monica Tong