No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Local Active Directory Accounts getting locked out - post migration

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I've just migrated from BPOS to Office 365.  All is well, except our local accounts in our active directory here are getting locked out every half hour or so.  Driving me nuts.

I think it must have to do with Outlook, and the login for 365 matching the UPN on our domain.  However, we purposely changed this in order to get the directory sync. tool to work as advised by microsoft.  But, this is now causing my account locking out issue.

So, what do i do?  I need UPN to match smtp address for dirsyc, but i also dont want my local AD accounts getting locked out.

Jeff

All Replies
  • Hi Jeff,

I understand that after transferring from BPOS to Office 365, the local accounts in Active Directory are getting locked out every half an hour.

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps. After performing each step, check if the original issue persists or not.

1. Create a new email profile in Outlook desktop client. You can refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918.
    2. Update the user name and password for all the desktop applications
    3. Uninstall the BPOS Sign-in Application.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• we've tried all 3 suggestions on a number of different users, same result.

• Hi Jeff,

I'd like to get a little more information about your environment:

Do you have an on premise exchange server?

Any other related applications? Sharepoint server, Lync server?

Are your users able to connect to Office 365 with Outlook?

Dirsync connects to your Active directory using an admin account and syncs the AD object to Office 365 with you online admin's account. Worst case scenario, if it were misconfigured, it could lock your admin account on premise or in the cloud. It couldn't lock the user accounts, since it doesn't access those accounts.

More likely, if you have an on premise application server and have changed the on premise upn to match the cloud user, you have an on premise application that is trying to connect locally using your Office 365 credentials. For example, if you have an on premise Sharepoint server, and some of your users have their Outlook configured to connect to a shared calander, Outlook may be trying to use the Office 365 username and password, and eventually locking their account.

Let me know what you find,

Dave

• We migrated from BPOS to Office365 teh second week of May. To let you know that your troubles are just starting. This has to be the worst transtion ever. Everyday you will see new issues for which there are no fixes for. Good Luck