How do I remove a domain from Office 365 so I can use with Hotmail for domains?

This question is not answered This question is not answered
I can't find where I might have tested the domain with Office 365,  but that only makes sense... I would not have used the domain with other services... and hotmail for domains provides no support!!!  Customers are stuck to fend for themselves. 
All Replies
  • Just find some site via bing or google which provides free domain service.  You can apply for one and have a simple test on office 365.

• Actually, I have a domain registered with another company and outside hosting (I own over 50 domains).  

The issue is that I used my domain to "test" office 365.  After the test was over (I guess the login died... I did not stick around to see what happened), I moved on to google.  No issues there.  Now I want to switch to Hotmail for domains, but hotmail is saying the domain is "registered" with Microsoft...

I mean, really?  Seriously?  After three years of forum posts people complaining about this "verification" and Microsofts refuses to fix the issue?  Wonder how many countless hours people have wasted.  Don't see how google can allow dns changes and boom, it works... MS requires jumps and leaps and boom, there are issues.  

So crazy... only reason I'm using hotmail vs. office 365 is for anniversaries and birthdays... I have too many to manually insert them myself. 

Figure I'll give this a round and then go back to gmail if Microsoft can't fix it. 

• Hi Matt9999,

Thanks for posting here.
    As deadline explained, we are able to add a custom domain in Office 365, then enable Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and Lync Online services to handle with this domain.

If we don’t want continue using the domain with Office 365 or using other Microsoft Online services, it needs to remove it from Office 365.  Both Office 365 and Hotmail are both Microsoft online services,  one domain can only be able to add in one online service. Therefore, if you would like use it in Hotmail, it needs to remove it from Office 365 firstly.

To remove a domain from Office 365:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/gg549195.aspx#bkmk_removel

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

0 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Problem is I do not know the login or password.  I've tested Office 365 maybe a dozen times over the last year so I don't remember which domains I used in the process.  Granted, I should not have used this domain since it did have potential to become something I'd use in the future.  

If you can let me know how to find the domain in Microsoft's system without the username and password, I'd appreciate it.  

• Problem is I do not know the login or password.  I've tested Office 365 maybe a dozen times over the last year so I don't remember which domains I used in the process.  Granted, I should not have used this domain since it did have potential to become something I'd use in the future.  

If you can let me know how to find the domain in Microsoft's system without the username and password, I'd appreciate it.

• After three hours on the phone with Microsoft 365 support, I was able to get the domain released.  

That was after two people hung up on me.  The second person I could not understand... not sure how she got a job speaking over the phone.  I'm not one of those "outsourcing" freaks either... I outsource all the time for talent.  

One guy hung in there and took care of the issue... explained the limitations Microsoft puts on them (they don't have full power to do their jobs properly).

Over the past year, I've tested O365 a bunch of times... can't say I'll do this again anytime soon... pain here.