SharePoint- To set the authority of folders

This question is answered This question is answered

Dear Sir,

Our company are processing SharePoint in Phrase two stages,

Kindly note that we are still having the same problem.

Aims to set the authority of folders

The steps we tried

1) We tick the specific file into this page inside, already select Document Permissions, Grant Permission directly

2) It is suggested to set the right to HK staffs , not give right to SH staffs, however , in ( Members ) includes  SH staffs.   We tried to remove SH in Members grouping. But SH staffs can not anythings after setting.

Kindly please provide us with steps  to set the authority , many thanks !

Verified Answer
  • Hi Vienna,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

From the last screen shot you provided, I see that you did not remove the EHK Staffs group.  As you detailed, the EHK Staffs group is currently granting carol.shu Design, Contribute, Read and View access permissions to the site.  Currently, I do not see any permission issues related to your users or groups.  Also the members group as detailed in a previous post does not have a permissions role in the screen shot I just reviewed.

As a last point, can you further define what you were attempting when you received the error “authority cannot be set to group?”

I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

All Replies
  • Hi Vienna,

By default your library inherits permissions from its parent.  Because of that, it is important to determine the best level to break inheritance.  From your screen shot, I see that your site no longer Inherits Permissions.  When you Stop Inheriting Permissions, it is important to have a site collection administrator remove the old inherited permissions you are trying to stop. Once that is complete you can assign permissions only to the groups that require site access. The following how-to steps detail this process:

1. Select the file that you want to create unique permission on
    2. From the ribbon select Document Permissions -> Permission Tools
    3. Under the column Name, Select all users and groups that are not needed-> Stop Inheriting Permissions

The following steps detail how-to grant file permissions to a user or group:

1. From the ribbon select Grant Permissions and then select the user/group to add
    2. Next use Grant Permissions directly to assign permissions only the groups that should have access to the site (HK staffs and SH staffs)
    3. Select OK to save permissions changes.

The following articles detail permissions management in SharePoint Online for Office 365. 

Set permissions for a list, library, or item

Permissions management

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Dear Sir,

Kindly note that problem has not been solved yet ,  due to I can not delete Membership from above setting,

• After I delete " Members " from permision ,  it is supposed SH staffs can not read  , but they still read

And I checked the permisiom  , those SH staffs can read due to they are in the group of Members,

Sir , kindly pls give a hand , thanks !!!

• Hi Vienna,

If the site is not Inheriting Permissions and the Members Group Name has been removed from site permissions, it is impossible for the members group to grant the user permissions to the site. Because I am unable to reproduce this in my SharePoint Online Environment, please provide a screen shot that shows the following from a single site:

1. Inheritance Permissions broken
    2. Members name group has been removed
    3. Checking Permissions for a user shows the removed members group granting site permissions

I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

• Hi Jonis Estrem,

As I followed all the instruction, authority cannot be set to group. Cos I delete SH staffs from membership, finally Carol ( SH ) Staffs also can view file, See attachment !

• Hi Vienna,

From the last screen shot you provided, I see that you did not remove the EHK Staffs group.  As you detailed, the EHK Staffs group is currently granting carol.shu Design, Contribute, Read and View access permissions to the site.  Currently, I do not see any permission issues related to your users or groups.  Also the members group as detailed in a previous post does not have a permissions role in the screen shot I just reviewed.

As a last point, can you further define what you were attempting when you received the error “authority cannot be set to group?”