change user name

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi, 

I have a new assistant starting, I would like to have all email to my current email address divert to the new assistant email, they filter and then forward me useful email.  I can do this by creating a new user for me and transfering my O365 license to the new user, set up a public group with my old email address going to the assistant who forwards to my new user address.

Problem is deleting my current user would loose all my emails and directory structure.  Anybody know a work around?

Verified Answer
  • Thanks Robert,

what I found was that I needed to understand 365 more.  On investigation I found that I actually have an account with 365 which is not an email account.  To make 365 do what I wanted I changed my online services ID to a new alias in fornt of the domain name I am using.  In E-mail options under users more I now had and addtional email associated with my account which was my old alias and domain.  I removed that other email address from my options.  I then assigned that email address to my assistants other e-mail adresses.  Thay now recieve all my old emails.  I now have a new address associated with my account.

I did not have to move any emails to a new account or loose address or make up a group email.  O365 rocks!

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • If I changed the user name without deleting the account would I loose the email

• Hi kmatwork,

Before moving on, I’d like to confirm your situation
    1. You want to move your old emails and directory to new mailbox.
    2. You have only one license, and you will move this license from your old mailbox to new mailbox.
    If this is the case, please follow steps below:
    1. You can save your current emails and directory as PST file via Outlook Client.
    2. Connect with your new mailbox via Outlook Client, then import your PST file.
    3. If you have one more exchange licenses, you can add your old and new exchange account on Outlook client and just drag the folders and emails you want to move to other mailbox.

For more information, please refer to the links below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070
    http://office.microsoft.com/client/helppreview14.aspx?AssetId=HA102505743&lcid=1033&NS=OUTLOOK&Version=14&tl=2
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/dd401503.aspx?sl=1

Thanks,
    Robert Li

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi kmatwork,
    I want to check if your issue has been resolved.
    If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply to me.

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Thanks Robert,

what I found was that I needed to understand 365 more.  On investigation I found that I actually have an account with 365 which is not an email account.  To make 365 do what I wanted I changed my online services ID to a new alias in fornt of the domain name I am using.  In E-mail options under users more I now had and addtional email associated with my account which was my old alias and domain.  I removed that other email address from my options.  I then assigned that email address to my assistants other e-mail adresses.  Thay now recieve all my old emails.  I now have a new address associated with my account.

I did not have to move any emails to a new account or loose address or make up a group email.  O365 rocks!

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• How do mark this as answered

• Hi Kmatwork,

Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you were successful in resolving this issue. I have marked your answer as an answer for this issue. This is so others may benefit from the suggested resolution.

To mark a reply as an answer, you can click “Yes” after “Did this answer the question?” under the reply.

Best Regards,
    Monica Tong