Cannot verify domain name

This question is answered This question is answered

I am utterly confused.

It took 11 days for Melbourne to set up my DNS Management. Once complete I created a TXT record 5 days ago but it still won't verify and I don't know whether it's Melbourne or whether I'm doing something wrong.

The instructions state:

1. On the Edit DNS record page, under TXT Records, in the HOSTNAME box, type the following: @
  2. In the ADDRESS box, type the following: MS=ms45449675
    Important: You must add a trailing period (“.”) at the end of the address (similar to ms123.contoso.com.).

There is contradiction here. 1 & 2 are quite specific in terms of what to type, the IMPORTANT bit has a domain name example which plays no part in the instructions.

My domain name is Postcards-For-Sale.com

I assumed that since I was entering the TXT record on Melbourne under that domain name, the @ would just default to it, but then how do you add a '.'?

My husband has been a database administrator for 30 years, and we built an Office Live website on intuition and simplicity, but the instructions seem to assume you are an expert web designer.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Postcards-For-Sale,

First, thanks for Ken’s information.

I have checked DNS records for your domain Postcards-For-Sale.com, and find that the Name Server (NS) records are pointed to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

I would like to explain that the Name Server records should be pointed to Office 365 after the domain is verified successfully. Given this situation, please point the NS records back to Melbourne IT, and then continue to create a TXT record or an MX record to verify the domain. For more information, you can refer to the following article which also includes a helpful video.

http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/blogs/team/archive/2012/02/14/video-moving-your-office-live-domain-to-office-365.aspx

You can create a TXT record without adding the trailing period.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• PFS,

No, only you can change them, nobody else has your password or access to those NameServer records. You may have changed them back to the default when you went back in and did steps 15 and 16 of www.builditon365.com/.../MoveOLSBdnTo365.aspx .

You got to change them so they point to Office 365. Go back in and start at Area/step 30.

All Replies
  • I wish they would fix the "Add Domain" wizard. It has confused hundreds of people trying to move their domain name.

I told them many times http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/146/p/48366/168335.aspx#168335 They did correct the documented instructions http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/gg584187.aspx but they didn't correct the wizard yet

Anyway,  

Please watch and follow this --> Move your OLSB Domain Name to Office 365  and take a close look at Area/step 24.

• Hi Postcards-For-Sale,

First, thanks for Ken’s information.

I have checked DNS records for your domain Postcards-For-Sale.com, and find that the Name Server (NS) records are pointed to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

I would like to explain that the Name Server records should be pointed to Office 365 after the domain is verified successfully. Given this situation, please point the NS records back to Melbourne IT, and then continue to create a TXT record or an MX record to verify the domain. For more information, you can refer to the following article which also includes a helpful video.

http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/blogs/team/archive/2012/02/14/video-moving-your-office-live-domain-to-office-365.aspx

You can create a TXT record without adding the trailing period.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• The Melbourne NS records now say ns1.secure.net and ns2.secure.net when I logged in.

Did you change them for me? (I'm not grumbling, I just want to know)

• PFS,

No, only you can change them, nobody else has your password or access to those NameServer records. You may have changed them back to the default when you went back in and did steps 15 and 16 of www.builditon365.com/.../MoveOLSBdnTo365.aspx .

You got to change them so they point to Office 365. Go back in and start at Area/step 30.

• This is now resolved and my domain is verified. Thank you.

Now I 'only' need to sort out how to store and access 12000+ images!! (see other postings)

• Hi Postcards-For-Sale,

I’m glad to hear that the domain has been verified. Regarding the images issue, I notice that you have created a new thread, and the support engineer Justin Ronan is working with you. Given this situation, in order to avoid confusion, please continue to troubleshoot this issue on your dedicated thread.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan