No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Open vs. Save for a hyperlinked document on the website.

This question is answered This question is answered
I have a hyperlinked doc on my website.  Clicking on it, it first goes to a "save" option instead of an "open" option.  Clicking on "save" then gives me the "open" option.  Can it first go to the "save" window?  See:  http://www.9kft.com/Pages/OurPeople.aspx 
Verified Answer
  • Hi,

This is Tim with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

The "open" or "save" when trying to open a hyper linked PDF file is by design. This is because PDF files were deemed a security risk with the way that permissive file handling works. In an up coming service update of SharePoint Online, PDF files will have the ability to automatically be opened in the client application when opened via a hyper link from your public-facing site.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

All Replies
  • Hi,

This is Tim with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

The "open" or "save" when trying to open a hyper linked PDF file is by design. This is because PDF files were deemed a security risk with the way that permissive file handling works. In an up coming service update of SharePoint Online, PDF files will have the ability to automatically be opened in the client application when opened via a hyper link from your public-facing site.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support