No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Two questions about transition from OLSB to 365: Refund and Unique Domain Name

This question is answered This question is answered

I received notice of the forced change from OLSB to Office 365 just after I renewed my account (including unique domain name) last month.  I am trying to follow the self transition guide and it is (predictably) not going well.  I have two questions to start:

Question one:  I renewed my OLSB account and my unique domain name for a year but Microsoft is not going to give me a year's worth of service.  Do I get a refund?  Credit towards my next bill? 

Question two: I had paid for a personalized domain name ("").  How do I transition that or am I stuck with

I'm not happy, Microsoft.  This change increases my website costs 6-fold and yet you provide no tools to ease the transition and no support beyond my having to ask the community and hope I get an answer from a Microsoft employee.  I know I'm not a giant enterprise spending enormous sums of money but I expect better from you, even for a small guy like me.

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • David,

You paid for a Domain name renewal, not for hosting service at OLSB - that WAS always free. So you will not be getting a refund. See --> Will I get a refund?

That is a temporary domain name that you use to test out this O365 service. When you move your domain name over "" that will become your website URL.

When it comes time to move that domain over, watch and follow this --> Move your OLSB Domain Name to Office 365 

• David,

It has been posted on the OLSB website that it will be moving for over 6 months now, and no you are not being forced to move to Office 365, you are being offered a chance to try it, thats all, its up to yoiu you can use it or find something else.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• And if I want to stay with Microsoft because I trust them and like their technology?

• I appreciate your response.  What I am looking for is clarification.  I understand the hosting was free.  When reading the various articles and instructions from Microsoft, it is not clear that the domain name was going to transfer.  Also, it was not clear in any documentation how payments were to be handled.

For example, your own article, referenced above is not clear:  "If you purchased the domain name through Microsoft then when you cancel the domain name connection, Microsoft will return that domain name back to the domain name register with is MelbourneIT. Microsoft was just a reseller of domain names for MelbourneIT. Further renewals and control of that domain name will be through MelbourneIT."  This sounds like my registration renewal does not transfer and that I have to deal with a different party.

I need support and from where I am, Microsoft is not doing a good job of it.  I'm sorry if that ruffles people's feathers but this is not the kind of treatment I am used to getting from Microsoft.  They have always been really good so when I find them putting users like me through a major change with no clear support, it is a bit of a shock.

• Hi Ken, Robert,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi David,

Based on your description, I understand that you would like to transit from Office Live Small business(OLSB) to Office 365, we have published a self-transition guide which would help you to perform this transition.

If you would like to move your email and website to Office 365, according to the Wiki article, you also need to transfer your own domain from OLSB to Office 365.

If you have purchased this domain from Microsoft Office Live and your domain registrar is Melbourne IT, you could refer to the video in the link below for moving your Office Live domain to Office 365:

It is true that OLSB will be replaced by Microsoft Office 365 for professionals and small businesses. To get you started with Office 365, we are offering OLSB customers an exclusive 6 month free trial of both Microsoft Office 365 for professionals and small businesses and Office Professional Plus.

Please check the link below for how to get your free trial of Office 365:

Here are also two links for your reference:

If you have any OLSB issues, I would also suggest you to get OLSB support from the link below:

Anna Guo

• Hi, we just released a free tool today, able to migrate OLSB sites to Office 365:

(This is version 2, now migrating pages, images and documents)

Good luck,

• Hi Emmanuel,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi David,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Anna Guo