moving domain from Office Live Small Business to 365

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have a custom domain through Office Live (from *years* ago when Office Live was in its beta form) and use hotmail for email services (I don't have Outlook). I was recently notified about the discontinuation of Small Business and the required shift to 365, and am looking into moving all my Small Business stuff to 365.

My question is this: if I move my domain from Small Business to 365, will my custom domain hotmail account be affected? Do I need to connect it to the desktop Windows Live Mail first? Or something?

All Replies
  • Hi Masakik,

Thanks for your active participancy on the forum.

Hi tabwriter,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, I understand that you are using Office 365 Small Business version, according to Support for Office 365 users, you would be able to get support from Microsoft community support.

If you have some concern about it, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at 

< Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>

If the service is requested frequently, we may include it in the future.

Moreover, since you would like to remove your own domain in Office 365, have you tried the steps in the link below to remove it?

If you could not remove it, will you receive any error message? Could you please post any screen shot or the whole content of the error message here for us to have a clear view of it?

Even though you mentioned that there are no email addresses or Lync licenses associated with your domain, please check if you have added this domain as the proxy email address' suffix for any existing users.

Here are the general steps for you to check it:

1. Log in Office 365 portal and click Outlook from the top header.

2. At the Outlook Web App page, click Options from the up right corner and click See All Options.

3. Choose Mail > Options: Manage My Organization, at this page, click Users & Groups from the left panel.

4. Double click the user who may have the proxy email address(email alia or second email address) and click E-Mail Options.

5. Check if the proxy email address has been deleted or not on this page.

We really appreciate your support.

Anna Guo

• I have followed all the necessary steps to remove any association with my domain. Nothing at all remains. As for error messages, I already stated what happens. To quote my previous post:

"[My domain is] not active on my MIT account page, and MIT won't let me reclaim it. I can't remove it from 365 either. I get an empty error message box when I try."

I am not okay with posting a screenshot of my account on a public forum. If that prevents you from helping me, I don't know what to tell you.

• Hi tabwriter,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the current situation, I would like to confirm if you have changed the name server records to point to Office 365.

If this is the case, you need to change the name server records back to point to Melbourne IT and then try to remove this domain in Office 365.

Anna Guo

• To quote my very first post on this issue:

"my domain is no longer under my control and I cannot add the appropriate nameservers"

If I'd been able to add the nameservers, I wouldn't be in this situation.

• Hi Tabwriter,

The domain registrar should be able to help in this situation. If you cannot change the name servers in Melbourne IT yourself, you can contact Melbourne IT to do this for you. Once the name servers changed successfully, you should be able to remove the domain from Office 365.

Reken Liu

• Changed to what? Anna just told me that the nameservers shoudn't be pointing to 365. Are you saying she's wrong?

I'm sick of all this back and forth. I've been without my email and website for almost *a week*! Isn't there a number or email address of someone I can talk to who can look at my account and see what's really going on? Is all this guessing *really* the only kind of support you guys can give? You had better support when Windows Live was in its beta form. Sad to see it so degraded.

• Hi tabwriter,

We appreciate your feedback. I’m sorry for the above confusing information.
    Generally speaking, to remove your custom domain from OLSB to Office 365, it needs to change your domain’s name server to point back to your domain registrar, and then you are able to create the required TXT/MX record for domain verification. If you don’t change the name server to point back, the DNS record will not propagate successfully through the DNS system.

If you can’t change the name servers back to your domain registrar (Melbourne IT), you can contact Melbourne IT to help you.

Grace Shi

• The nameservers DO NOT point to OLSB. The last nameservers they pointed to was my domain registrar.

MIT cannot help me because my entire domain has been canceled. I tried to get it back, but they say my domain is under the control of another registrar and requires an authentication code to switch control back to them. But I don't have this code, so they will do nothing for me.

I know nothing about nameservers or how domains work behind the scenes, but my guess is that the nameservers point to nothing, since the domain has been canceled (f this is the case, someone here should have figured this out long ago). There's nothing I can do to change the nameservers. What I need is REAL help behind the scenes, not general pointers and pushing me off to someone else's support desk. This is why a public forum is not sufficient as a sole provider of support.

You know what? Nevermind. Just tell me how to close my account. It's clear I'm not going to get any real help on this, nor will I in the future should something else go wrong. I'm not interested in being part of a system that cannot help its customers.

• Hi tabwriter,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the current situation, you could provide your domain information for us to further research. Since this is your privacy, I will send a private message to you to request your domain information. Therefore, you could reply me through private message.

To access the private message with the subject of <Domain Information>:

1.Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.

2.Click Private messages.

3.Click the subject title of the response to read the message and reply with your domain information.

Anna Guo

• Hi tabwriter,

Thanks for your reply through private message.

I have got your domain name and checked the DNS information for your domain, however, I could not find any DNS record for your domain.

If your domain registrar is Melbourne IT, please double check this domain with your domain registrar and make sure that is has not been expired.

Anna Guo

• It's not expired! The entire domain has been cancelled!! I've said this SEVERAL times in this conversation.

I accidentally cancelled it because I was in the wrong location of MIT's website (because 365's directions didn't tell me exactly where I needed to be). To quote an earlier post:

"there are TWO options titled Cancel DNS. One is to cancel DNS management, and the other cancels the entire domain. It appears I selected the wrong one which cancels the whole domain because no one told me where to look for the correct option."

How many times do I have to say the same information??!!?!? Are you guys trying to make this difficult and frustrating? Cause it sure seems that way.