No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

No notification of password expiration

• Why is it in Office 365 the first notification that my password has expired is the "enter your password" for Outlook and Lync?   Am I missing something here?   I thought the sign-in assistant would notifiy the end user that password was going to expire just like the BPOS Sign-In Tool.  Until this is fixed I'm going to have to tell my clients to set all their paswords to NOT expire.  Customer Sat over security.

When an end user gets the Password prompts from Outlook or Lync they are then supposed to know to sign-in to their O365 Portal to update their password and then go back to Oulook+Lync+Mobile+whatever else to change thier password.   The password notification function in the BPOS Sign-in Tool is a much better design!  Proactive -vs- reactive.

I have seen this same issue reported in several other posts and I have raised this issue in a SR which went nowhere to my knowledge.

Either I'm missing somthing or the the O365 team missed somthing.

• Hi Kevin S. Miller,

If a password expires, the user is prompted to change it when the user signs in to the Office 365 portal, Outlook Web App, or a SharePoint Online site. However, there is no password expiration notification for Outlook and Lync at this point. I believe lots of customers also need this feature. Therefore, I would suggest you submitting the feedback at the following site: 

If the feature is requested frequently, the Office 365 product team may take it into consideration. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Mindy Pan

• It is very silly this was not built into 365.  Did microsoft assume everyone would go with federation services?

• Hi Ryan,

I understand you may feel disappointed that the password expiration notification is not available at this time. I recommend sending your feedback to the feedback collecting team. Microsoft Product Team will take all suggestions and feedback into consideration for future releases. Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. We strive to capture any and all product issues or product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. We truly appreciate all your time and your efforts.

Have a nice day.

Mindy Pan
  • Mindy,

I've put in for this request at least once before.  I will do it again.   What I'd to see is that the development team acknowledges the requests and issues a statement that this functionality will be coming SOON.

• Hi Kevin and Mindy,

This problem was resolved a few weeks ago with an updated version of the Sign-In assistant. If you go to the portal and re-run the desktop setup it will download the latest version of the sign-in assistant that will now give you a pop up like the Sign-In Tool for BPOS. If you click it the link takes you to the password reset portal. The notification happens 15 days before your password expires.

I blogged about it a while back but am at a client that won't allow me to access the blog, but if you go to and search AD FS you'll see the posting. It provides details on the update and gives a little more explanation.

• So I guess my win7 64bit with the office pro plus does not meet the requirements, it wants me to download Microsoft Office 2007 service Pack 2, from microsoft update???
  • Do you have any standalone Office 2007 applications, like Visio or Project? If so then yes, you have to have SP2 installed for any Office 2007 application you have. The Sign-In assistant merely finds places you don't meet the requirements and directs you to the fix. In this case it is a DL of SP2 for Office 2007. I ran into this problem where my client had Office 2007 SP2 installed, but later installed Visio 2007 and didn't install SP2 for Visio, which kicked back the same problem. Once you have SP2 installed re-run the setup and you should be in good shape.

• Thank Jorge I installed the update and then setup ran.  I went ahead and updated my system.  One thing I'm wondering is there any other way to install these updates?  I really don't want to walk around to every machine and have to log into 365 and run the setup just to update them.

• No problem, there is a link to the DL of the app but I am not sure if it is updated, you can check out out though:

• Jorge,

WOW!  Thanks for letting me know about this.  Now I have several questions around automatic updates and communications.   I thought the O365 Sign-In assistant was supposed to receive and apply updates for any O365 interface changes.   If that didn't do it then why wouldn't normal Microsoft Updates?

And communications from mean I was supposed to find out about this enhancement by reading a Partner Blog!?   This should have been announced to all customers and partners. Oy Vey.

• Jorge,

Do you know what else this update fixed?

• It appears the Office 2010, and outlook 2010 updates were in our WSUS, the only one that was not was the sign-in assistant one. When you download it it is a .msi and can pushed via GPO.  Would be nice to get them in WSUS.

• I honestly don't know what else was fixed, I got the heads up from a friend of mine that is a cloud Architect for Microsoft. I'll reach out though and see if there was an official document published.

• From

The following features are introduced in version 7.250.4287.0 of the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant package:

•Password expiry notification

For users of Office 365 rich client applications (However, this does not include Microsoft Outlook), a notification balloon is displayed on user's desktops 14 days before the 90-day password expiration time-out to notify users that they have to change their password. Users are prompted every day after that until the user changes his or her password.

Every time that authentication is made through the Sign-In Assistant's authentication stack, the Sign-In Assistant uses the credentials that are supplied by the user to check the password expiry status for that user account.

Note Because Outlook connections authenticate without the Sign-In Assistant, the Outlook connection does not trigger the Sign-In Assistant to check password expiry status.