No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Password Changed - Outlook Disconnects

This question is answered This question is answered

Hey,

When user changes password in the portal, Outlook 2010 client cannot connect to the service (EXCHANGE).

The behavior is pretty natural - the cached "old" password on the client side shouldn't work anymore.

How user can change the password in Outlook client?

Will user be notified that "login" failed?

Regards,

Mark

Verified Answer
  •  
    Hi Mark,

I suggest showing the prompt for logon credentials in Outlook. Then type the new password and click “Remember my password”. Click Ok.

To show the prompt for logon credentials, please refer the following steps:

1. Launch Outlook, click File, and then click Account Settings.
    2. Click Account Settings under the Account Settings drop down list.
    3. Select the Exchange Profile for your account, and click Change. Then click More Settings.
    4. In the Security tab, check 'Always prompt for logon credentials'.
    5. Click OK. Exit the Account Settings window. Then exit Outlook.
    6. Launch Outlook again. It will prompt for your logon credentials. Please type your new password. If you prefer to save it, check “Remember my password”. Then click OK.

Then your logon account will use your new password to log on Outlook.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong
All Replies
  •  
    Hi Mark,

I suggest showing the prompt for logon credentials in Outlook. Then type the new password and click “Remember my password”. Click Ok.

To show the prompt for logon credentials, please refer the following steps:

1. Launch Outlook, click File, and then click Account Settings.
    2. Click Account Settings under the Account Settings drop down list.
    3. Select the Exchange Profile for your account, and click Change. Then click More Settings.
    4. In the Security tab, check 'Always prompt for logon credentials'.
    5. Click OK. Exit the Account Settings window. Then exit Outlook.
    6. Launch Outlook again. It will prompt for your logon credentials. Please type your new password. If you prefer to save it, check “Remember my password”. Then click OK.

Then your logon account will use your new password to log on Outlook.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong
  • Hi Mark,

Does the reply above answer your question?

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• I have the same problem.  I have done as you suggested, but the problem remains.

• Hi  dcthomas4,

Thanks for your reply.

If you have tried what Monica suggested and the problem still could not be resolved, I would suggest you post a new thread about the detailed information of the issue you encountered and the steps you have done to resolve it, this is so we could focus on your questions and provide more specific solutions for you.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• I have this problem, tried the solution and it worked.  However, it is a cumbersome solution at best.  Isn't there a simple way to just change the password, such as the old BPOS Sign-In application?

• Hi Billan,

I am glad to hear that the information provided is useful and the issue is fixed. Do you mean that you are wondering if we can change the password simpler for Outlook? As far as I know, it’s not available. If the above information doesn’t answer your question, to better follow up the issue, I suggest posting a new question in the forum with the detailed question description. 

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• I just experienced and resolved the same problem without too much headache.  I suggest readers try this "simple" remedy before jumping through the hoops described in the rest of this thread.

Symptoms: Outlook no longer connects to the Office 365 Exchange service, due to an *unknown* password authentication problem.  In my case I don't know why the password no longer worked--Outlook just started posting a "Disconnected" status for the remote Exchange server, attempting every so often to reconnect.  I recall a new authentication dialog popping up once, but that did not reset the problem.  I spent three days with no connection and no authentication request.

Solution:  If you go to the service setup dialogs through Outlook you will find that the Exchange server credentials (server name and user name) are NOT editable.  However, by closing Outlook and pulling up the same screens via the EMail setup via Control Panel those fields can be changed.  N.B. OUTLOOK MUST NOT BE RUNNING.  Simply modify the username (all I did was eliminate the final letter of my name, then type it right back again) and press "Check Name".  The remote service found me, and even changed the server name automatically.  Confirm the change, restart Outlook, and, voila! my mail from the last three days is present and accounted for.

Note for MS: perhaps a server migration in your data center has caused some of these difficulties for users? Just wondering why my Exchange server name changed all of a sudden.