No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Email and POP3 to IMAP

This question is answered This question is answered

Hello,

I have just purchased Plan P1 for Office 365 and am currently awaiting my existing domain to be verified. There are 4 users in our company but my plan is to test myself before rolling out to the others.

My question is: am I correct in assuming that I can just add my own email address to 365 and the other users can continue as normal?

Also, how do I  migrate my existing POP3 account to IMAP so that I can use Outlook on my laptop when I am remote from my office PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Verified Answer
  • Hello

yes, you can add only your own account to test Office 365

BUT, after adding and verifiying your domain, don't change anything on the DNS; if so, all emails will arrive to Office 365 and your others users will not receive their emails

on your current email account, add a rule to forward incoming email for you to your Office 365 email address (user@domain.onmicrosoft.com)

follow this post to change the default email address used in Office 365, so your email sent from Office 365 will have your email address community.office365.com/.../changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx

the simplest way (for you) to move your existing emails, is to import the content of your existing PST (Outlook personal file) onto your Office 365 account

From Outlook, open the File\Open menu and choose Import and then follow the import wizard (choose Import from another program or file, the Outlook Personal File (PST))

• Hello,

I have now successfully completed my testing phase and would now like to add two further users, and use our own domain.

Please could you explain how I undo the temporary solution (which was set up so that the other two users could continue as normal while I tested) as the instructions given at  community.office365.com/.../changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx ?

Thanks

Steve

All Replies
  • Hello

yes, you can add only your own account to test Office 365

BUT, after adding and verifiying your domain, don't change anything on the DNS; if so, all emails will arrive to Office 365 and your others users will not receive their emails

on your current email account, add a rule to forward incoming email for you to your Office 365 email address (user@domain.onmicrosoft.com)

follow this post to change the default email address used in Office 365, so your email sent from Office 365 will have your email address community.office365.com/.../changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx

the simplest way (for you) to move your existing emails, is to import the content of your existing PST (Outlook personal file) onto your Office 365 account

From Outlook, open the File\Open menu and choose Import and then follow the import wizard (choose Import from another program or file, the Outlook Personal File (PST))

• Hello,

Thank you for your very prompt reply. However I do have further questions!

If I am just forwarding incoming email from my current email account, why would I need to verify my existing domain?

Also, what would happen with outgoing mail?

Is there no way that I can just add my own email address to 365 after I have verified my domain?

Regards

Steve

• Hello again,

Sorry, I should have read your response properly - I have now resolved this, although it was very difficult to achieve the default email address - the instructions at community.office365.com/.../changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx are very sparse.

But all done now so thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Steve

• Hi Steve,

I'm very glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.
    If you have any other question when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post it in the forum. 

In addition, you may also find useful information on the websites below:
    For Office 365 Enterprise: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/default.aspx 
    For Office 365 Professionals and Small Businesses: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses

Thanks,
    Claud

• Hello,

I have now successfully completed my testing phase and would now like to add two further users, and use our own domain.

Please could you explain how I undo the temporary solution (which was set up so that the other two users could continue as normal while I tested) as the instructions given at  community.office365.com/.../changing-primary-smtp-address-without-changing-the-microsoft-online-services-id.aspx ?

Thanks

Steve

• Hi Steve,

To run the command, you need to use PowerShell.

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows Exchange 2008 R2, you don't have to install anything and can use PowerShell directly. . If not, please refer to the following article to install all the required items. Make sure all the uninstall and install have been performed correctly.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc952756.aspx

And then, you will need to collect PowerShell to the cloud-based service as the steps in following article:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/Cc952755.aspx

After that, please open the Windows PowerShell and run it as an administrator before running the command.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Hello Josephine,

Thanks for your response. However, sorry but I don't understand your advice! Which command should I run to undo the previous temporary solution?

Regards

Steve

• Hello, can anyone help please?

Regards

Steve

• Hello Steve,

To change the primary SMTP address back to default, please refer to the following steps.
    1. Connect Windows PowerShell to Exchange Online service as the step Josephine provided
    2. Run command:
         Set-Mailbox alias -WindowsEmailAddress alias@domain.onmicrosoft.com
    For example, you have created an Office 365 tenant with the domain name “domain.onmicrosoft.com”. After that, you created a user with the username “user@domain.onmicrosoft.com” and changed the primary SMTP address. Now, please run “Set-Mailbox user -WindowsEmailAddress user@domain.onmicrosoft.com” (without quotes) to change the primary SMTP address back to default.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Claud

• Claud,

Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks very much for the reply and your help.

We are planning to add the other users and remove the workaround next week so will follow your advice then.

Regards

Steve

• Claud,

I just cannot get this to run: please see the Powershell script below, where am I going wrong?!

PS C:\Users\STEVE ADMIN\Desktop> $LiveCred = Get-Credential

cmdlet Get-Credential at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Credential

PS C:\Users\STEVE ADMIN\Desktop> $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Mic

rosoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri ps.outlook.com/powershell -Credential $L

iveCred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection

WARNING: Your connection has been redirected to the following URI:

"pod51016psh.outlook.com/PowerShell-LiveID "

PS C:\Users\STEVE ADMIN\Desktop> Import-PSSession $Session

ModuleType Name                      ExportedCommands

---------- ----                      ----------------

Script     tmp_c65c1a73-41bf-4472... {Start-ProvisioningRequest, Set-Mailbox...

PS C:\Users\STEVE ADMIN\Desktop> Set-Mailbox steve@mydomain.co.uk-WindowsEmailAddress steve@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'steve@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com'.

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-Mailbox], ParameterBin

dingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-Mailbox

PS C:\Users\STEVE ADMIN\Desktop>

Regards

Steve

• Claud (or anyone!)

PS isn't there an easier way to do this? E.g by creating another admin account from which my primary email address can be amended from within the Admin portal to revert to the default eg steve@my domain.com?

Regards

Steve

• It seems that there is no a space between steve@mydomain.co.uk and -WindowsEmailAddress in your command. you can re-run the command provided by claud to change user's PrimarySMTPAddress attribute .

Sky

• Sky,

Thank you so much, this has done the trick!

Regards

Steve