Updates to Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007

Updates to Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007

This FAQ covers a number of similar Outlook patching requirements. The email we sent to you lists out each specific update your organization needs, and omits the updates you don't need. If the email doesn't mention a specific update, then you can ignore it in this FAQ.  You can leverage the Office 365 Best Practices Analyzer for your PC to verify if your computer is up-to-date (links provided below).

Why is Microsoft asking me to patch Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007?

These software updates contain important reliability and performance improvements that will benefit your users. You can find more information about the software updates by reading the appropriate knowledge base articles.

• For Outlook 2010
    • KB2553248 from the April 2012 public update
    • KB2687623 from the November 2012 public update
  • For Outlook 2007     
    • KB2687404 from the November 2012 public update

When do the patches to Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2010 have to be deployed?

Why are there different dates and more than one patch?

Our Online Services Support Lifecycle requires that we provide you twelve months to make required changes to your computers. The updates were released at different times, so the twelve month period is different.

The patches from the April 2012 and July 2012 public updates are required for all Outlook deployments.

If you do not use Windows XP, you are still required to catch up to the November public update by 8 April 2014, but we do not expect any connectivity issues on other Windows operating systems. If you do not deploy the patches by 8 April 2014, Support may require you to apply them if you require assistance with Outlook and Exchange Online.

What will happen if I don't apply the software updates by the deadlines specified?

We are planning service updates to Exchange Online after these deadlines which will take advantage of the reliability and performance improvements in these software updates. Once the Exchange Online service update happens, computers without the software updates will be unable to connect to Exchange Online from Outlook.

We realize you have other IT projects, and we plan to hold off on the Exchange Online service update until you have deployed the software updates. If you are unable to deploy the we may deploy the Exchange Online service update even if your organization has not deployed these software updates.

How do I install the updates?

For any computer running Windows XP, you need to run Windows update.  This link will automatically take you to the appropriate update for your version of Outlook.

We strongly recommend that you accept all automatic updates from Microsoft.

How will you know if we have deployed the software updates?

Our automated system reports collect aggregate information about how you connect to the service, including the version of Outlook used to connect to Exchange Online. The version tells us what software updates you have deployed.

What do I need to do to deploy the software updates?

All four software updates were distributed via Windows Update as part of Tuesday updates in April, July and November. If you receive updates automatically from Microsoft, you should already have these deployed. If you have a process to roll updates out to your users on your own timeline, no special action is required.

Our organization has deployed these software updates. Why am I receiving this email?

You may have deployed the software updates after we prepared the report used for this mailing--we apologize if this is the case.

It is also possible that some of your users have connected to Office 365 via a personal PC that doesn’t have the necessary software updates.

How can I tell if a particular computer has the software update installed?

To verify that your Outlook client is up to date:

1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs, then click Windows Update.
  2. Click View update history.
  3. Click Installed Updates.
  4. Search for KB numbers 2553248 and 2687623 for Outlook 2010; or 2596598 and 2687404 for Outlook 2007.    
If you can't find the correct KB number, the software update hasn't been installed.  

I accept all automatic updates from Microsoft, but the software update doesn't appear to be installed. What should I do?

Sometimes a little manual intervention is required. To install the appropriate Outlook software update

1. On the Start menu, point to All Programs, then click Windows Update.
  2. Click Check for updates in the left menu.
The Outlook update will appear, probably with several others. Just install them and you're good to go.

We have a policy to block all software updates and updates from Microsoft. What should I do?

Rejecting all updates from Microsoft, including security updates, presents security risks to your organization and your users. You should reconsider this policy.

We have a policy to block all but security updates from Microsoft, so this software update won’t be installed. What should I do?

Cloud services are evergreen—the Office 365 service you connect to will run the latest software from Microsoft, and that means your organization’s computers that connect to the service must also have the latest software updates. To keep using the Office 365 service, you should reconsider your organization’s policies regarding updates from Microsoft.

Where do I get the Office 365 Best Practices Analyzer?

1. Sign-in to Office 365 
  2. Select Tools 

Select "Check your on-premises PC with the "Office 365 Best Practices Analyzer beta

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

Sort by: Published Date | Most Recent | Most Useful
Comments
  • This resolved an issue for a client that couldn't get desktop Outlooks to connect to Office 365. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)