Looking for browser requirements for Office 365? As of February 2014, we’ve made things simpler. You can now see the Office 365 system requirements all in one place.

General Questions

How can I tell what version of Internet Explorer I'm using?
Choose the "About Internet Explorer" option in the Internet Explorer menus. This appears in an options and settings menu which, depending on the version you are using, may be a gear icon or appear under "Help" or "Options."

I need help upgrading my organization's users to a modern version of Internet Explorer. Where should I go?
You can find a partner on the Office 365 Marketplace: just look under the Desktop competency.

My organization has web applications developed specifically for an older version of Internet Explorer. What can do we need to do to upgrade browsers?
Modern versions of Internet Explorer have a feature called Compatibility Mode that lets developers tell Internet Explorer for which browser version the application was developed. Internet Explorer will use this property to render the application in the appropriate compatibility mode.

If you purchased the web application in question, please contact the vendor from whom you purchased it.

If you have a custom-built application, you can find a partner to help you on the Office 365 Marketplace. Just select Companies, and under Competency, select Software Development. Additional information on document modes is available from MSDN and guidance on upgrading to modern standards is available from Modern.ie

Internet Explorer 10

What kind of experience should I expect using Internet Explorer 10 with Office 365?
Office 365 is designed to work with Internet Explorer 10, so the user experience should be great. You should plan to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 in 2014 so you can have the best experience with Office 365.

Internet Explorer 9

What kind of experience should I expect using Internet Explorer 9 with Office 365?
Office 365 is not designed to work with Internet Explorer 9. Office 365 will not offer code fixes to resolve problems using the service with Internet Explorer 9: You should expect the quality of the user experience to diminish over time, and that many new Office 365 experiences will not work at all. We recommend you upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 as soon as possible.

Internet Explorer 8

What kind of experience should I expect using Internet Explorer 8 with Office 365?
Office 365 is designed to work with the current or immediately previous version of Internet Explorer. When accessing Office 365 from older versions of Internet Explorer, users may experience known issues and limitations depending on the versions of Internet Explorer. For example, the user experience sending and receiving email with Outlook Web App and Internet Explorer 8 might be substantially diminished, especially when used on Windows XP or with low memory devices. Office 365 does not offer code fixes to resolve problems using the service with Internet Explorer 8, and new Office 365 experiences might not work. We recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer after it is released.

Is Office 365 ending support for Internet Explorer 8 on 8 April 2014?
No. However, when accessing Office 365 from older versions of Internet Explorer, users may experience known issues and limitations depending on the versions of Internet Explorer. Although Microsoft does not recommend that you connect to Office 365 by using older browsers and clients, we provide limited support so long as that software is supported by its manufacturer. Specifically, if you continue to use older browsers and clients:

• Office 365 won’t deliberately prevent you from connecting to the service.
  • Office 365 won’t provide code fixes to resolve problems related to those clients, but it will offer security fixes as needed.
  • The quality of the user experience will diminish over time.

Beginning in May 2014, Internet Explorer 8 will only display Outlook Web App Light. If you are an Office 365 admin, you will see a notification of this change in the Message Center in the Office 365 admin center 30 days before the change takes place.

If your organization is dependent upon Internet Explorer 8 to access older Web apps and services, you may want to consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 11 and evaluating Enterprise Mode for Internet Explorer 11. This update helps provide better backward compatibility for legacy Web apps.

Will Office 365 block Internet Explorer 8 users from connecting to the service?
Office 365 has no plans to deliberately block Internet Explorer 8 users from connecting to the service.

Internet Explorer 7

When did Office 365 end support for Internet Explorer 7?
Office 365 ended support for Internet Explorer 7 on 1 October 2012.

Why doesn’t Office 365 offer “limited support” for Internet Explorer 7 per the system requirements?
Office 365 only adopted the “limited support” section of the system requirements in December of 2013, and that change is forward looking, not retroactive.

What does "end of support" mean?
If you have a technical issue with Office 365 and would like to open a ticket with Microsoft support, you will need to reproduce the issue with a supported browser.

Will Office 365 block users from connecting to the service with Internet Explorer 7?
No, Office 365 will not deliberately block connections to the service from Internet Explorer 7.

What should I expect if I connect to Office 365 with Internet Explorer 7?
As of December 2013, you will:

• Only be able to use Outlook Web App Light
  • Be unable to join Lync Online meetings
  • Have general difficulties using SharePoint Online

Please be aware that the user experience with Internet Explorer 7 will diminish over time, and could become unusable.

Internet Explorer 6

When did Office 365 end support for Internet Explorer 6?
Office 365 never supported Internet Explorer 6. BPOS customers needed to upgrade to a modern browser before they were transitioned to Office 365 in 2011 or 2012.

Why doesn’t Office 365 offer “limited support” for Internet Explorer 6 per the system requirements?
Office 365 only adopted the “limited support” section of the system requirements in December of 2013, and that change is forward looking, not retroactive.

What does "end of support" mean?
If you have a technical issue with Office 365 and would like to open a ticket with Microsoft support, you will need to reproduce the issue with a supported browser.

Will Internet Explorer 6 users be blocked from accessing Office 365 when support ends?
Signing in to Office 365 via Internet Explorer 6 may not be possible.

What should I expect if I connect to Office 365 with Internet Explorer 6?
You should not expect to be able to connect to Office 365 with Internet Explorer 6. If you are able to do so, however, the user experience will be largely unusable.