Why do I have to deploy the most current service pack?
Our Service Pack Support Lifecycle requires that all Service Packs be installed within twelve to twenty-four months of release to receive support from Microsoft. It is recommended that customers manage automatic updates on a regular basis to keep current with new deployments and avoid any disruptions.

What happens when support for a service pack ends?
When support for a service pack ends, Microsoft will no longer provide new security updates, DST updates, hotfixes or other updates for that service pack. Limited support will continue to be available. Microsoft will always publish specific support timelines for a previous service pack when the new service pack is released.

When does support end for Windows XP and what is the most current Service Pack for this operating system?
The most current service pack for Windows XP is Service Pack 3. Support for Windows XP and Service Pack 3 end on 8 April 2014. For more information on migration, please visit this site.

When does support end for Vista and what is the most current Service Pack for this operating system?
The most current service pack for Vista is Service Pack 2. There is no current end date for support for Vista and Service Pack 2.  Service Pack 2 was deployed on 29 April 2009.  For more information, please see the service pack policy here.

When does support end for Windows 7 and what is the most current Service Pack for this operating system?
The most current service pack for Windows 7 is Service Pack 1. There is no current end date for support for Windows 7 and Service Pack 1.  Service Pack 1 was deployed on 22 February 2011.   For more information, please see the service pack policy here.

When do I need to install Service Pack 3 for Outlook 2007?
Please deploy Service Pack 3 immediately.  Office 365 requires that you use supported software.

What kind of issues might I encounter if I don’t deploy Service Pack 3 for Outlook 2007?
We can’t predict the kind of issues that you may encounter with Office 365 if you don’t deploy Service Pack 3 for Outlook 2007. However, the end-of-support date for earlier service packs has already passed, so the experience you have today is indicative.

What service pack should I be running for Office 2010?
All Office 2010 users should have Service Pack 2 deployed, with Service Pack 1 as a minimum. Service Pack 2 should be deployed before 14 October 2014.

Service Pack 1 was released on 28 June 2011. Office 2010 deployments without a Service Pack are no longer supported.

Will Office 365 always notify me about the need to deploy service packs?
Not always. We will contact you if we know of an update to the service that will cause disruption to users that do not meet the service pack requirements. We may also notify you at the same time we are communicating other Office patching requirements, which is the case in early 2013.