Ensuring Your Network Works With Lync Online

Ensuring Your Network Works With Lync Online

UPDATE

The most current information can now be found here: Set up your network for Lync Online.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Check out the new topic and let us know what you think.

8 out of 11 people found this post helpful.

Sort by: Published Date | Most Recent | Most Useful
Comments
  • Microsoft Lync 2010 is not automatically added as a program to be allowed by the Windows Firewall. Add Microsoft Lync 2010 to the list of programs allowed to pass through the firewall manually to make it work.

• I would add to the list that check that you have the latest version of Lync.

• This is looking good, thanks Patrick! :-)

• @heikki.tauriainen, thanks for the suggestion, several others have mentioned that as well. See step 2 at the beginning of the article. Cheers!

• What about this SRV Record for internal SIP traffic\communications?  

Service: _sip

Protocol: TLS

Priority: 100

Weight: 1

Port: 443

Target: sipdir.online.lync.com

This record is referenced in both kb 2566790 (support.microsoft.com/default.aspx) as well as the Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises Deployment Guide (community.office365.com/.../default.aspx) Section 3.6.2 External DNS Records.

• @Bill H: Hi Bill, the very last table in this topic lists the SRV record for internal DNS servers. Is that what you were looking for?

• I ask to my DNS provider to add this record

SRV _sip _tls 443  1 100 1 hour yourDomainName.com sipdir.online.lync.com

How can test this record. Using nslookup? If yes waht are the commands?

• Hi,

Good post although is it possible to also include the internal port requirements for Lync Online? For example if I have two Lync Online users, both within the same company but separated by site level firewalls, I understand the media traffic will first attempt a peer to peer connection before using Lync Online servers as a proxy?

• There is a column missing from the firewall config table... IP ranges. When IP ranges aren't specified it's like saying allow this port to any destination. No firewall admin worth his salt would do that. Especially not if all web is required to go through a proxy for auditing purposes. The IP ranges are here: technet.microsoft.com/.../hh372948.aspx

The SRV record stuff is only for networks which do not allow their clients to get external/public DNS resolution. One where all DNS requests are carefully controlled. This is rarely the case, but is common in government networks. You do not need to implement this if you can retrieve the SRV record(s) already. They are public.

• This is a document I just stuck together in a similar fashion. Added IP ranges and also the details required to allow Apple Push Notifications. http://sdrv.ms/14st9If

• @Andrew, thanks so much for your posts regarding this topic, and the link to your all-up summary of ports and IP addresses. In case you weren't aware, there have been some changes to both the IP addresses and URLS since March, which you can find on TechNet and in our newly re-written article: office.microsoft.com/.../set-up-your-network-for-lync-online-HA102817382.aspx

Best regards,

Patrick Kelley

Technical Writer, Lync and Lync Online

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)