This page contains frequently asked questions about Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE).  

Q: How do I sign in to the FOPE Administration Center?

To sign in to the FOPE Administration Center Web page for the first time, perform the following steps:

1. Go to the FOPE Sign In page at http://admin.messaging.microsoft.com/.
  2. Click Need Your Password?
  3. In the User Name text box, enter your Microsoft Online Services ID, and click Send.
  4. You will receive an email from exmailer@microsoft.com. The email will say, "To set or reset your password, go to:" and will provide a link. Click the link.
  5. In the Set New Password dialog box, enter your password in the New Password and Confirm new Password text boxes and click Submit.
  6. The Administration Center Web page appears.

For more information, see Have Your Password Sent to You

Q: Why am I receiving non-delivery report (NDR) messages?

After a tenant's domain is provisioned in Exchange, propagation to all FOPE servers can take up to 60 minutes and you may receive NDR messages until the domain is provisioned and synchronized in FOPE. Normal email delivery will resume after propagation has completed.

NDR messages may also be received after a domain is added, deleted, or moved in the FOPE Administration Center. When these events occur, propagation to all FOPE servers can take up to 45 minutes. For more information, see knowledge base article #2603474 (nondelivery report (NDR) error message when people who are external to your organization send email messages to Office 365 users).

Q: What features does my FOPE deployment come with?

For information about FOPE features that are available in different Microsoft email hosting products, including Office 365, see the TechNet topic Feature Set Comparison for FOPE Deployments. This topic details which products enable access to the FOPE Administration Center, which products enable access to FOPE connectors (for use in cross-premises or "hybrid" configurations), and so on.

Q: I want a portion of my mailboxes in the cloud and a portion on premises. Where can I find resources to help me configure my on-premises Exchange and Office 365 hybrid environment?

Hybrid Deployments in the Microsoft Exchange documentation is a good place to start. It begins with an overview of hybrid deployments and includes information about the Hybrid Configuration Wizard, which shipped with Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 and greatly simplifies hybrid configuration.

If you already use FOPE to protect your on-premises mailboxes and you want to move a portion of them to Office 365, see Moving FOPE-Protected Mailboxes from On Premises to the Cloud on TechNet to get an overview of the process, from the perspective of a FOPE administrator.

If you are in the process of configuring a hybrid deployment and receiving specific error messages, the Microsoft Support article "Exception has been thrown by the target" or "Federation Information could not be received" error in a hybrid deployment of Office 365 and your on-premises environment can help you troubleshoot.

Q: How do I create a footer and add it automatically to all of my outgoing email messages?

This is a question that many of our Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) customers ask. You may be required to include a confidentiality disclaimer, compliance statement, or other information in all outgoing email messages for your organization.

For example, you may want to add this statement to all outgoing email messages:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This email message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. Email messages to clients of Contoso may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

Using the Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) Administration Center, FOPE Standalone, Office 365 for Enterprises, and Live@edu customers can create a disclaimer like this using plain text and add it to a footer. You can also create an HTML footer in a case where you want the footer to have specific formatting or to contain an image, such as your company logo. (Just keep in mind that your recipient’s email client must be configured to receive HTML for your HTML footer to retain its formatting.)

For simple, step-by-step instructions on creating a footer in the FOPE Administration Center, see Create an Email Footer for Outbound E-mail on TechNet.

Note: Office 365 for Enterprises or Live@edu customers can also use transport rules to add disclaimers to email messages. Add Disclaimers to Messages explains how to create footers, using the Exchange Control Panel.

Q: I'm an Office 365 administrator and I can't sign in to the FOPE spam quarantine. Why not?

You can link to the spam quarantine (https://quarantine.messaging.microsoft.com) directly or by clicking the link in the FOPE Administration Center. If you receive an error message when you attempt to log in to spam quarantine, it could be a result of the following:

Login instructions for the FOPE Spam Quarantine can be found on TechNet at Log on to the FOPE Quarantine Service and Personalize Settings.