Sign up for Office 365
Learn more about Office 365
when you click "File", then "Data File Management", and click "Open Folder" , it shows ".ost" file 8GB while there is multiple ".pst" files with different size (1GB, 2GB,etc..) i wonder which file to select for archiving as a backup in case of computer crash...
Hi Naaman Antoun,
Offline Outlook Data Files (.ost) are copies of your Exchange information, When we enable outlook cache mode , outlook will automatically generate this file. About other pst files, you can directly open it by outlook and check if it is useful for you. My suggestion is you’d better create a new pst file to back up your data.
To create a new PST file in Microsoft outlook 2010
Please follow the below steps
1.Open Outlook 2010.
2. Go to the Ribbon and select the Home tab.
3. In the New section, select New Items.
4. When the menu appears, select More Items followed by Outlook data file.
5. When the Create or Open Outlook Data File window appears, browse to the location where the file is to be located. Go to the File name text box and input the desired name for the file. If you wish to add a password to the file, check the Add Optional Password check box.
6. Click the OK button.
To Export Outlook items to an Outlook Data File (.pst), please see link below:
dear Jacky, thank you so much but i have outlook 2007? please advise if this is possible?
Hi Naaman Antoun,
Sorry for incorrect information with outlook version.
To create a new PST file in Microsoft outlook 2007
1. Click File and select Data File Management.
2. Under the Data Files tab, click Add.
3. Select the desired type of data file.
4. Click OK.
5. In the new window, browse to the location that the file will be saved.
6. In the File name box, type the name for file.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Create Microsoft Personal Folders dialog box, type the name that will be displayed in Outlook for the data file in the Name box.
9. Click OK.
10. Click the Close button in the Account Settings dialog box.
To Export Outlook 2007 items to a Personal Folders file (.pst)http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/export-outlook-items-to-a-personal-folders-file-pst-HA102538007.aspx
thank you jacky, i am confused since your colleague :Alexandru Dionisie" is telling by saving "ost"
Just Try This Application & Save OST File As PST Format : http://www.convertost.net
OST Repair - www.osttopst.convertoutlookost.com
Try SysTools OST Recovery Tool to Convert OST File in PST Format
SysTools OST Recovery Tool best option to Pair Corrupt OST File
my question is simple i want to backup my emails/calendars/notes/contacts... in 1 single file in a folder on my desktop and this file will be updated each and everytime i open then close my outlook 2007
please advise how if any? thank you very much
Hi Naaman Antoun,you can create a new PST file and use this pst file as new item default location.The steps below are how to point Outlook to your new personal folders file:
about how to create a new pst file in outlook 2007 ,you can refer above reply.
Best Regards,Jacky Ding
thank you Jacky, i am confused because of one thing: when i set up the office 365, the account automatically generated an "ost" file not pst and ost is so large
i am concerned if i loose any data if i use pst instead of saving ost?
Hi Naaman Antoun,The data will be safe as long as the pst file is safe. So please protect the pst file from breaking.The link below will give you more information about difference between pst with ost.http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/introduction-to-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354876.aspx
How are the things going?