Sign up for Office 365
Learn more about Office 365
Our client is using Office 365 email service. They are using Outlook to connect Office 365 by using Exchange mode. On a backup workstation, they setup a Outlook to connect Office 365 accounts by using POP3 connection and backup email to PST file.
On their operation workstation, they find that email marked as "Read". How can I solve the problem?
Hung Kim Ho
Thinking Technology Limited
Hi Hung Kim Ho,
Does the issue also occur to OWA?
To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:
1. Check the Inbox rules for the problematic mailbox. To do this, open Outlook Web App, click Options>See All Options>Organize E-Mail>Inbox Rules, select one of the inbox rules, click Details. In the “Do the following” box, check if “Mark the message as read” is shown.
2. Change the Reading Pane settings to “Don't automatically mark items as Read” and check the results.
3. Outlook Client Options
- In Microsoft Outlook 2010 Click the File tab, and then from the menu Click Options.
- In the Options window, Click Mail, then scroll down to Outlook Panes and Click Reading Pane…
- Check the box for Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane, then Enter the Number of Seconds you would like Outlook 2010 to wait before marking your email as read. Keep in mind this number will be applied to all emails opened from now on regardless of their size, so aim for the average time it takes you to read your emails.
I updated the setting, but it is useless. The problem occur in OWA too. The message will NOT be marked as "Read" after I STOPPED the POP3 pst backup. I think it is related to the POP3 service in Office 365. How can I prevent the message to be marked as "READ" ?
You can reproduce the problem by following steps:
1. Setup Outlook to connect Exchange online email box by using Exchange mode.
2. After download all emails, add new account to same profile. The account connect to the SAME email box by using POP3 connection. Open a new PST to store the email data.
3. Send a new email message to the email account, after the POP3 account received that email,the email (which connected in Exchange mode) will be marked as "Read".
I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
Based on your description, POP3 will mark the messages as read as soon as they are downloaded to the client.
There is a workaround for you, please use the IMAP module to backup the emails.
By using IMAP, when users delete email on their workstation, the backup workstation will also remove that email from PST file. I don't think that it will work.
Can we prevent the email marked as "Read" after downloaded by POP3 account ?
Hi Hung kim Ho,
Based on your description, Outlook anywhere works in Office 365 Exchange Online.
Refer to blogs.technet.com/.../3405633.aspx.
As a workaround, the archive feature is available to meet your requirement.
See Enable an Archive Mailbox.
If anything unclear, please feel free to get me in touch.
instead of Microsoft cloud storage, they want to have a local copy backup of email. So, they use POP3 to receive email on another workstation as a backup,
Using Oulook anywhere or IMAP, email in the backup workstation will also be deleted when users delete email on their Outlook or OWA.
My question is that, How can I prevent the email marked as "READ" after download by POP3 client?
Currently, it is impossible to prevent the email marked as "READ" after download by POP3 client.
It is recommended to submit feedback about this requirement to our product team with the following link: http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135
Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. Again, thank you for working closely to improve our products and service.