No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Migration to Office 365 questions

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I work for a school that currently use Live@edu and want to move to Office 365.

Currently the students have SMTP addresses and mailboxes in Live@edu, for example student@ol.abc.k12.us. They use ILM to sync to Live@edu now.  The teachers use on premise exchange with an SMTP address of @abc.k12.us with the intent of moving to Office365 and keeping the @abc.k12.us SMTP address.  The UPN for all users right now is @abc.k12.us in the on premise AD.

With Office365 it is my understanding that if I want the students to sync to ol.abc.k12.us and teachers to abc.k12.us that the UPN/Proxy Address/Email Address of the on premise AD account need to match.

Is that a correct assumption?

Is there any way to not change the UPN and just rely on the email address and still have SSO using ADFS and dirsync?

If a change is necessary on the on premise domain I question how this will affect some of our applications.  Or will it if the the ol.abc.k12.us is just an added UPN to the domain?

Is there anything I'm missing here?

All Replies
  • Hi CliffJB,

Yes, it's correct. The UPN need to match the domain which you have verified on Office365. In this case, you need to verify "abc.k12.us" and "ol.abc.k12.us" before enable dirsync and both of these two domain need to switch to federated domain.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Hi Cliffjb,

I just want to ensure that all the information is useful for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks, Neo Zhu