No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Authentication failure

• 2 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Uninstalled/reinstalled Dirsync (including removing all traces of SQL, dirsync, FIM, etc.).  Now I'm get the following error:

When I try the domain\username format I get further, but then get a "Unknown Error 0x80005000".  At a stand still at the moment and wondering if there is a quick fix or some buried log files to help debug.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Turns out this was a replication issue with our child domain.  Apparently dirsync is really picky about replication errors and once the DC of the child domain was rebooted and a replication completed the dirsync errors went away.

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Christien,

I understand you tried to run Microsoft Online Service Directory Synchronization tool, after you entered the credential, you received an error message. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Please check the following points during running the tool.

1.Make sure that you provide credentials for an account that has Enterprise Administrator permissions on your company's local Active Directory installation.

2.Make sure that you enter the correct user name and password for the user account.

3.Make sure that the computer on which the Microsoft Online Services Directory Synchronization Configuration wizard is installed can communicate with your company's domain controllers and can authenticate to the local Active Directory installation.

Also, please capture a screen shot of the error message ‘Unknown Error 0x80005000’ and post to this thread.

You can refer to the link of Active Directory synchronization: Roadmap.

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../ff652543.aspx

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • 1 - the dir sync account we're using is a member of the enterprise admins and can edit AD

2 - I am using the correct credentials (also get same error with other accounts with same level of permissions)

3 - I am able to open ADUC and view/edit user accounts

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Christien,

Please post about your AD scenario. How may forests and domains exist and what's the structure. Please make sure that the Directory Sync tool is not installed in a Domain Controller.

As you have enter the step Configuration of the wizard, you can check whether there is a user account named ‘MSOL_AD_Sync’ in ADUC.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Christien,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Turns out this was a replication issue with our child domain.  Apparently dirsync is really picky about replication errors and once the DC of the child domain was rebooted and a replication completed the dirsync errors went away.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)