No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Hybrid with Exchange 2007 will be replaced with Exchange 2010 SP1/SP2

• Hi All,

I need to decommission our Exchane 2007 with Windows 2003 x64 bit OS, replacing it with Windows 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 SP1/SP2 so that I can raise the domain functional level to Windows 2008 R2.

The Exchange 2007 was already configured on Hybrid for O365 and this is a domain controller as well.

Our MX record already pointed to O365 and we use the Exchange for email relay on devices, attribute for exchange is nice to have and managing mailboxes and groups are easy compare to powershell.

Plans

1. Create a new virtual machines with Windows 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010 SP1/SP2.

2. Move mailboxes to Exchange 2010.

3. Configure relay/outgoing emails to O365

Before I can proceed to my plans, I need to get more information/documentation regarding:

1. Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 coexistance

2. Configure Exchange 2010 for send / receive connector.

3. Configure Exchange 2010 outgoing email forwarded or trusted to o365.

I can;t find any information from the NET to achieve my goal.

Please send me link or informatin if you had done this scenario.

Thank you.

John

• Hi John,

Have you used the Exchange Server Deployment Assistant? This is an online tool where you can setup scenarios like you described. It will create a deployment plan for you.

technet.microsoft.com/.../default.aspx

• Hi John,

Any updates on this issue? Have you tried Kelsey's suggestion or do you need any further assistance?

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Hi Kelsey,

Thanks.

I have not done the Exchange Server Deployment Assistant. I will run it today and if I need your help/ stuck on something I will let you know.

• Hi John,

You can also reference this recent post on my BLOG, which details the process with Exchange Deployment Wizard.

www.office365support.ca/.../Post.aspx

• Hi John,

How are you? Just checking to see if you have any other questions. If so, please feel free to respond.

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Hi All,

I'm back, sorry for not updating this forum.. very busy.. Just configured hybrid (exchange 2007 and exchange 2010) to O365 using the exchange deployment plan.

I have issue with my smtp relay. When the device's smtp server is set to exchange 2007 the email will go through and when using the exchange 2010 the email wil be stuck in the QUEUE

Regards.

John

• Hi John,

Thanks for your update.

To configure the SMTP relay, please refer to the following KB article:

How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365

support.microsoft.com/.../2600912

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang

• Hi John,

How is the thing going? Have you referred to my above information to setup the SMTP relay?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Hi Evan,

The link was IIS SMTP relay... we don;t want to use the IIS as relay. Thanks fo the link.

BUT fixed the issue, created an 'Accepted Domains"  in Exchange 2010 and configured it as internal relay for this domain (domain123.onmicorsoft.com). All our devices can now relay from Exchange 2010).

Cheers

John Cruz

• Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you encounter any other problems when using Office 365, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Evan Zhang