No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office Professional Plus on multiple workstations

This question is answered This question is answered

"Office Professional Plus 2010 desktop version subscription (for up to 5 devices per user)"

1. Please clarify the above statement

My scenario is as follows.  I have 10 workstations consisting of laptops and desktops with some users sharing desktops but also have multiple workstations allocated to them. I also have one general email account that is shared between multiple users. 

2. Can I propose the following subscriptions

2 x E3 Plans that will allow office Professional Plus on all 10 workstations

8 x E1 Plans that give users access to hosted exchange?

That covers the business in terms of getting the latest office suite with upgrade without the need to purchase office suite for every workstation

Verified Answer
  • It sounds like you're asking if multiple users can "share"  a license. Of course they can - MSFT has no way of knowing or controlling who has access to a 365 account or any desktop software you've downloaded. Each license gives you an Exchange mailbox and rights to 5 installations of Office - it's up to you who uses them.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Thinus,

1. If a user has the license of Office Professional Plus subscription, the user can install and activate Office Professional Plus for up to 5 devices with his account.

2. Two E3 licenses can activate Office Professional Plus for up to 10 devices. 8 E1 licenses will include 8 Exchange Online email accounts.

When you mentioned “sharing desktops” and “one general email account that is shared between multiple users”, could you please provide the detailed description from your side?

Thanks,
    Kevin Cui

• Thanks for the answer thus far....

Follow up question...: "Two E3 licenses can activate Office Professional Plus for up to 10 devices"... Does the devices have to belong to the company or to individual user? I need to ensure that we adhere to the license agreement of Office 365 Cloud.  If have 10 activations by means of 2 x E3 licenses then that will save my customer heaps.

"Sharing Desktops"

If you answer my follow-up questions then this will not apply.

• Hi Thinus,

When you mentioned “belong to”, could you please provide detailed information about that?

I’d like to specify the following information.

If an Office 365 user has one E3 license, he would be able to install and activate Office 2010 for up to 5 devices. The activation process needs this user account. Once the user doesn’t have the license or the user is invalid, the Office 2010 installed in the 5 devices would not work.

Thanks,
    Kevin Cui

• Hi Kevin

I think you manage to answer my question.  My understanding from your comments is that as long as my customer have a valid E3 license you can use that license to activate any 5 devices in his company with that particular E3 license regardless the users allocated to those devices.  I still have to purchase individual E1 licenses to allow the user to have access to company exchange?

Cheers

• Hi Thinus,

Two E3 licenses + eight E1 licenses can allow ten persons to access Exchange Online.

Thanks,
    Jacky Ding

• Hi Jacky

You answer only covers the Exchange portion of my question.  How many office installations do I have and is it legit to use the E3 license for multiple users?

• It sounds like you're asking if multiple users can "share"  a license. Of course they can - MSFT has no way of knowing or controlling who has access to a 365 account or any desktop software you've downloaded. Each license gives you an Exchange mailbox and rights to 5 installations of Office - it's up to you who uses them.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.