No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office Pro Plus for all?

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I was wondering how the 5 Offices in on subscription work in real life?

If imagenary customer has 100 desktops at the office.
They buy only 20 E3 plans, so can they install Office Pro plus to all machines?

How does the control work that the other users in the company would not use Office in that machine if they log in?

Thanks.

Harri

Verified Answer
  • Shared Desktops:

Buying retail or volume licenses would allow you to get the version of Office best suited to the tasks required of each PC and be usable by whomever is currently logged onto that PC.  

Deployment:

Office365 users with an Office Pro plus license will have a link on their Microsoft Online Portal to download the software.  Once installed it runs entirely on the client PC.  I would expect there to be an install package that could be pushed enterprise-wide.  I am hoping to see the same thing for the O365 connector.

All Replies
  • Hello,

The scenario you have outlined above is entirely possible -- as long as Office is able to occassionally refresh its volume license by verifying that the user it is assigned to is still an active license holder, there's nothing stopping other (unlicensed) folks from using Office applications.  It's the same scenario that is encountered with most VL software, and its up to whoever is in charge of software account administration to ensure that the license agreement is adhered to.

This may all change when Office365 hits GA, of course.

Thanks,

Chase

• Thanks.

The reason is why I'm asking this is that we have lot of shared desktops.

So what would be the best way to get Office in to tho machines? al the users log in with their own account.

How do you deploy enterprise wide Office Subscription?

-Harri

• Shared Desktops:

Buying retail or volume licenses would allow you to get the version of Office best suited to the tasks required of each PC and be usable by whomever is currently logged onto that PC.  

Deployment:

Office365 users with an Office Pro plus license will have a link on their Microsoft Online Portal to download the software.  Once installed it runs entirely on the client PC.  I would expect there to be an install package that could be pushed enterprise-wide.  I am hoping to see the same thing for the O365 connector.