No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Access database, Office 365 / sharepoint - create a multiuser online database app?

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I currently use skydrive for sharing office docs such as Excel, Word.  What I need to do is to create a central database with several (less than 10) users, all of which will need to add information via varying forms.  I have evaluated several online database applications but have not found one yet at a price point / functionality level that I am happy with.

In order to solve this problem I am trying to figure out if I can use MS Access via sharepoint (Office 365) for this purpose.  Specifically I would need to create a database with different views, forms and reports that everyone in my team (in various countries) can use (add edit view).

After surfing on this topic the advice I have been able to find currently seems to be contradictory with regard to Access's functionality / ability to function in this kind of multi-user internet model.

Can anyone offer any insight into whether Access can be used in this way, how well it works and what licensing would need to be purchased if it does?      

All Replies
  • Hi,

Access can exactly what it is you want to do, and can do it using a Small Business P1 plan, which is $6 a month per user. For you if you don't alread have Access 2010, then sign-up for the Office Pro Plus, $15 a month, that will give you Access, and the rest of Office 2010, and the upgrade to 2013 when it rolls out. If the other users will work just on-line, then all they need is the P1 license, and only 1 user needs Access to create the application.

• Hi thanks Robert, thank you for your reply, although I'm still a little confused!  : )  First, I can confirm that the other users will work online...

My understanding so far though is that I need SharePoint in order to share an Access database?  The Small Business plan (P1)  apparently does not have SharePoint www.microsoft.com/.../compare-plans.aspx which would imply I need E3 or to buy SharePoint separately?

Can you clarify?

• Hi BaadB,

Office 365 for small business and professionals (P Plan) includes SharePoint Online service. Since you only want to use SharePoint Online service, you can also choose SharePoint Online plan.

Thanks,
    Young Yang

• Hi BaadB,

Do you have any update on this issue? We’re here to help you.

Thanks,
    Young Yang

• Hi,

A Small business plan will do what you want, with each user except you on the $6 plan, and then get the plan that gets you Access added on for anoth $15 per month. Note that a plan that includes Office and Sharepoint will be available after the 2013 upgrade for $149 a year.

• Can external users be invited to use also? Or only if they are on $6 plan?

• invited users can work online and use office web app.

check office.microsoft.com/.../share-sites-or-documents-with-people-outside-your-organization-HA102894713.aspx