No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to limit calendar period of sync or delete calendar beyond a set date.

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I currently sync my office 365-OWA to my microsoft outlook 2011 (mac).  I have also synced an organizing program called curio to my outlook 2011 through iCal. 

A problem came up in that any think that was an all day event or event a present holiday, like new years day would duplicate every time it synced in an exponential manner.  

In order to work around this, I deleted all of my all day events from all calendars up until 2014 and this work.  However, every time it I open and sync accounts, it is exponenentially duplicating previous and future events beyond 2014.  

Is there any way to stop this?  Either by limiting the dates of syncing calendars or just limit the time period of the calendar?  (I do not need to currently keep a calendar after 2014 and it would be great to archive my old calendar, instead of having it continuously resync and eventually crash my computer.)

Doing this either through OWA or outlook 2011 is fine...I just need it to stop.

Thanks,

Howard

All Replies
  • Hi Howard,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm more information.

1. Dose this issue also occur in Outlook Web App (OWA)?

2. Did this issue occur after you synced an organizing program called curio to your outlook 2011 through iCal?

To troubleshoot this issue, you can do the following steps:

1. Make sure the time-zone settings of all email clients are correct. To check time zone setting in OWA, you can refer to article Regional Tab.

2. If this issue persists, I would suggest you create a new Identity in Outlook and re-configure your Exchange account again. You can refer to this link: help.outlook.com/.../gg471164(d=loband).aspx

Thanks,

Jerry Cen

• 1)  Yes, it occurred both in Outlook Web App and my own outlook 2011 on my mac.

2)  This occurred after syncing my program--curio through iCal.  Prior to this I did not have iCal synced because I had no need to it.  Curio only syncs to iCal and not outlook.  So it is the only reason why I would use iCal.  

It is crazy in that it only makes duplicates for the 'all day' events and events that have been added such as holiday.  At the same time, every time it sync it appears to double the amount of events.  As a work around, I went through all of my calendars iCal, curio, office 2011 mac and outlook web access and deleted each 'all day' event in order to keep it from perpetually doubling and crashing my computer.  

I deleted all events up until 2014 and resynced them all.  They were working fine.  However, I realized that it was doubling and syncing all of these events for each year.  (I had 26 events for Christmas 2026 and multiple events and holidays for 2008!)

Since then I created uninstalled and reinstalled outlook 2011 and created a new identify to ensure that everything on outlook 2011 was deleted.  Also deleted all calendars on iCal and curio that might affect this.  

At this point, however, my outlook web account still has these events for years to come and if I sync it with my outlook 2011 with them still them, it will continue to sync and double up on these events.  I am the administrator on my outlook web account and would like to   clear everything from my outlook web before I sync it up.  

Is there a way to do this?

If not, should I just switch to outlook.com account and try to delete everything from there?  

The whole purpose of this is to use outlook calendar on my android phone and I have been using an exchange server to do.  

Thank you for your insight and thoughts.  My missing link is now a clear cloud space that can sync to my outlook 2011 mac and my android phone.  

Happy New Year-

Howard

• Hi Howard,

To clear the duplicate events from the Outlook Web App (OWA), you can right-click the event and click Delete.

After that, the Outlook will work fine.

Best regards,

Jerry Cen

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thanks for your thoughts.  However, it sounds like you are suggesting that I go through every year, at least a few years back and up to at least 2026 that I can see up to and delete each event.  Keep in mind that there are numerous events for each event, such as over 14 New Year's eve events for each year.  

This will take a great deal of time and who knows what is in the calendar for the year 2030 and beyond.  

Are there any other options?  Can someone from microsoft just delete my calendar and allow me to start over without any automatic holidays or other events inputted into the system?

If not, what are my other options?  To close this account and open up a new one that is fresh/new without this junk in it?  Are there any other customer service options, when I signed up there seemed to be a lot more help with this beyond forums.  

Thanks--forgive me but this duplication issue is very frustrating and disruptive.

--Howard

• Hi Howard,

Currently, there isn’t any command or tool to remove all calendar items in Office 365 Outlook Web App at one time. User has to remove the items one by one in Outlook Web App (OWA). In Outlook 2010 client, you are available to delete them at one time. To remove all calendar items at one time in Outlook 2010, you can refer to The following steps  

1. Click Calendar in Outlook 2010.
    2. Click View.
    3. Click Change View, and then click List. You will get a list of the calendars on the right panel.
    4. Select all the calendar items you prefer to delete. Click Delete.

From users’ side, there are two ways to get a new default value calendar or mailbox.

1. Backup emails, contacts, rules, etc. Remove user’s Exchange Online license. Then re-assign license. After re-assigning Exchange Online license, user’s mailbox will be provisioned to a default value. This will generate a new mailbox identity with the same email address.
    2. Create a new user in Office 365 account. Or Sign up a new Office 365 account.

The support options for Office 365 enterprise:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637615.aspx

The support options for Office 365 professionals and small businesses:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/ff634500.aspx

Thanks,
    Monica Tong

• Hi Monica,

I have a very similar problem to the above.  I did not use a third party product, but used Outlook Synch Services to try to add my Outlook appointments to my Mac Calendar.  I have ended up with many thousands of duplicate appointments, stretching back for several years (at least 2007).  The multiple duplicates appear both in Outlook 2011, and on the OWA Web App.  It is very disappointing that there is no easier way to delete many entries.

My Outlook is continuously re-Synching with Office 365.  It is in an endless loop giving me hundreds of "Could not synchronize ..." errors.  Some of the duplicate entries that it is re-synching over and over again seem to have invalid email addresses. Obviously those entries are corrupted.  I try to delete these, but I can't, because the corrupted email address is invalid, and I cannot send a cancellation to an invalid email address.  Moreover, I don't want to send my customers cancellations for meetings in 2007.

I have turned off Synch Services and deleted the Outlook and Exchange calendars from my Mac Calendar, which now looks fine, as before. But my Outlook and Web calendars are a total mess with thousands of duplicates.

Question: How do I delete a meeting WITHOUT sending a cancellation?

One way to limit the problem of deleting the thousands of duplicates would be to tell Outlook, or Office 365 to delete ALL entries more than 18 months old.

Question: How do I delete all old meetings before some date?  Or before some time interval like 12,18, or 24 months?

I really don't understand how Microsoft can provide a Synch Services feature, specifically for the Mac, and then the feature so badly messes up my calendars.

Can you please help me.  I am in real trouble with this endless loop of synchronization. This endless re-synching is using up all my memory and CPU cycles, not to mention tons of data.  There is no way I could use my Mac on a wireless connection - it would quickly consume all my data allowance. 

Thank you in advance M2001.

• Hi M2001,

For question 1: If the meetings were sent out by you, you have to send a cancellation to delete the meeting. If the meeting was sent out by other people, you can delete the meeting without sending any email.

For question 2: In Outlook Web App, you should delete the old meetings manually from your calendar one by one by selecting the date. There isn’t any method we can use to delete all meetings at one time for a period of time. The alternative method is to use the list view in Outlook 2010. You can select the calendar items you prefer to remove by checking the date.

1. Click Calendar tab in Outlook 2010.
    2. Click View.
    3. Click Change View, and then click List. You will get a list of the calendars on the right panel.
    4. Select the items in a time period. Click Delete.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest removing the profile from the local computer. Then check if the calendar items will be synced frequently with Outlook 2010. If it doesn’t sync duplicate calendar, the issue is related to the mail client settings. You can contact the mail client support to get additional assistance about the client’s specific configuration.

Thanks,
    Monica Tong