No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How can I open a document in Office 365?

This question is answered This question is answered
I can't open a word or excel file in office 365 that is not made in office 365. If I try to open a file a collegue send me that is not made in office 365 I'm not able to open it. Isn't this possible in office 365, or what am I doing wrong?

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hi Nam & Mch,

We can't open CSV files in the web browser directly, however, we can open them with the desktop Excel. Please refer to the KB in my last reply.

Nam, are you trying to open word or excel files in the web browser? Please go to the Internet Options in your web browser, select the add-on "SharePoint Open Documents Class" and disable it.

After that, you should be able to open documents in web browser directly.

Thanks,

Reken Liu

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hi Linn,

Are you trying to open documents in Office Web apps? Opening documents (created anywhere) directly from the web browser is supported in Office Web apps with the version Office 2003 or later. Please help to collect the following information for further trouble shooting:

1. OS type and the Web browser type and version.
    2. Upload the file received from your colleague to SharePoint Online, try to open it, and capture a screen shot for the error.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hi Linn,

How are things going? Is the problem resolved?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Hello,

I have the same kind of problem.  I uploaded a CSV file that I would like to open in Office365 Excel.  Mac OS X 10.6.8, Firefox 5.0.1

I can create new files but cannot open uploaded ones.  I am certainly missing something as I cannot find any ways to open the file.

Thank you

Nam

• Hi Nam,

Viewing or editing CSV files in Office Web Apps is currently not supported. Please refer to the link below  and convert your file to a supported format.

Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028380

Thanks,

Reken Liu

• You have to be kidding me. Csv files are a very basic data transfer format-why aren't they supported in 365?
  • I agree with mch, CSV files are standard and can be opened with any text editors.  This should not require extensive coding to add the feature.

To come back to the point of the original post.  How can I open a Word or Excel files that were uploaded on Office365?

Thank you,

Nam

• Hi Nam & Mch,

We can't open CSV files in the web browser directly, however, we can open them with the desktop Excel. Please refer to the KB in my last reply.

Nam, are you trying to open word or excel files in the web browser? Please go to the Internet Options in your web browser, select the add-on "SharePoint Open Documents Class" and disable it.

After that, you should be able to open documents in web browser directly.

Thanks,

Reken Liu

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• I would like to add that this is completely asinine. You're asking your cloud users to obtain a local version to open a file format that has been synonymous with digital spread-sheeting for as far back as I can remember. OH, and look, your competition doesn't seem to have a problem with .csv and I didn't even need a "local" copy of Excel. 

This is something you need to take up with development because it's just unacceptable.

This is something you need to take up with development because it's just unacceptable.