No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office 2000 Documents

• Hi,

I want to use office 365 for my business. I am currently running the trial version (small business)

I am only interested in using the online office apps as I move about so much.  

I have some office 2000 files which I can upload, but I can't edit them.  I guess that I need to convert them to a later version, but don't want to buy the whole office suite just to do that job and not really use it again.

Is there anyway of doing this?

Thanks

• you could get a trial of Office Pro Plus and use it open the Office 2000 documents, then Save As and set the Save As Type field to .docx. Then upload to your SharePoint Online site. You might find that you like the Office Pro Plus client too. :)

• I wish I had started with that trial version now, looks like it is not easy to switch.

I am a one man business, does the pro plus client work with any pc I happen to be on at the time?

• No - its not an online service - its a full copy of Office. If you purchase an Office Pro Plus subscription, I believe you can install it on up to 5 machines.

• That's a shame.  Maybe I am just too mobile for 365, I'll keep testing though because there is so much I love about it.

The frustrating thing is google docs will open the file.  

• Install a trial copy of the regular Office 2010 suite which gives you 60 days to convert your docs: office.microsoft.com/.../try

• Hi L6it,

As the others have suggested, grabbing a copy of Office Pro Plus for trial might be a great avenue to go down.  You'll be able to open up all your previous-versioned documents without issue and save them up to a more current version at the same time.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

• Hi L6it,

Currently documents that were created in office 2007 and 2010 are only fully supported through the web apps for reasons of stability. Older file types can be opened in read only as you have seen. For this reason I would suggest as the others have suggested, grabbing a copy of Office Pro Plus for trial. You'll be able to open up all your previous-versioned documents without issue and save them up to a more current version at the same time.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

• Did you have other questions regarding this issue?