No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Office 365 Desktop Setup will not download

• 3 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Here is the Installation Log:

The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 6.1.1 {version}
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)', phase BuildList
Running external check with command 'C:\Users\ALANKA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDCF10.tmp\DotNetFX\dotnetchk.exe' and parameters ''
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
Read string value '9.0.8112.16421'
Setting value '9.0.8112.16421 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)':
Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 1 {int}
Property: [IEVersion] = 9.0.8112.16421 {string}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\instmsia.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX\dotnetfx.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
'.NET Framework 2.0 (x86)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download 'http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX00EN/436?!/Office365DesktopSetup.application'.

• Post Points: 5
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Alan,

Thanks for sharing such a detailed problem and the solution.  

So it appears that you successfully found the solution and you shared it with the community. This is what this community is for, sharing problems and the solutions.

So, just to hit the highlights then we can say that you might not be able to download and install the microsoft Office 365 desktop software with Google Chrome browser, at this time. (This may be fixed in the future)   When you download it with Microsofts Internet Explorer, it downloads and installs properly.

Can you tell us which version of IE you are using?  7, 8, or did you use 9? (which isn't yet approved for use with O365)

G. Ray Glenn Sr   MSFT  Moderator.

"G. Ray"  Glenn Sr. 

MSFT  Community Forums Moderator

Microsoft Office 365 Technical Support Engineer

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • It was IE9.

I do not appear to be having any issue with IE9 and Office 365.

Of course I'm doing most of my "stuff" on my notebook.

I just like being able to have access to things from my win 7 phone, which I hope (once the sharepoint access from office hub issue has been resolved) this will give me.

• Not Ranked
  • FYI, this same issue occurred to me using IE10 (desktop version) on Windows 8.  

I used IE Developer Tools to step the browser mode down to IE9 and then to IE8, and neither corrected the issue.  Lastly, I tried running the install from the most recent release of Google Chrome, and no dice there either.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)