No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Workspace 2010 sync failure with new office 365 on creation of folders

• 6 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi, I see other threads with this issue being reached but no response from MS.

On my sharepoint site if I add anynew folder to the team site then sync fails with this error.

Data in this list references content type "", which is no longer in the list schema

It has nothing to do with onenote files or PDF's etc as have tested all that.  It is simply as soon as a folder is created.  Which renders things pretty hopeless in terms of organising data.

Has anyone struck this issue and resolved it?  Microsoft monitors - has this actually been resolved as plenty of folk have been asking about it?

Thank you for any help that can be offered.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Buxtonmovers,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

To reproduce the issue in my environment, with a SharePoint Online for Enterprises plan, I synchronized a Microsoft 2010 Workspace to a Team Site Shared Documents folder.  I was able to create new folders from the SharePoint Online ribbon option and then Sync Microsoft SharePoint Workspace with the Sync ribbon option to show the new folders on the Workspace content list.

I then reproduced the same procedure with a SharePoint Online Professionals Small Businesses plan.  I synchronized a Microsoft 2010 Workspace to a Team Site Document Library and created new folders with the SharePoint Online ribbon option and used the Microsoft SharePoint Workspace ribbon option Sync to show the new folders on the Workspace content list.

I am not able to reproduce the errors you are receiving while creating new SharePoint Online folders on a site synchronized to Microsoft 2010 Workspace.  On my Professionals plan I specifically used a document library with 3 documents to exactly replicate your test. 

With the tests that you have already conducted we can rule out:

1)    Less than 30,000 items on the list

2)    The sites are not Access Web Database sites

3)    You are not editing site pages or list attachments

If you utilize the SharePoint Workspace ribbon option to create the document library folder, does this result in the same “Data in this list references content type, which is no longer in the list schema” error?

If the workspace problem is isolated to one device, I recommend that you repair or re-install Office 2010 to see if that resolves the issue.  For Office Professional Plus for Office 365 installations, the following article details step by step troubleshooting.  To repair the installation review the section titled Repair Office installation and services.  To review the article click on the following link: General troubleshooting in Office Professional Plus for Office 365.

Let me know the results as I will continue to monitor this thread and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • HI

Have had a chance to play further, the suggestions you made we're really on theright track.

Turns out if I use the standard "Documents" library that comes default with P1 then I get the issues noted.

However if I create a new library, then setup wihtin that the issues don't occur.  Essentially the "documents" folder that come standard is unusable.

So can you advise what the documents folder is for as distinct from setting up your own libraries.

Thanks

Michael

• Not Ranked
All Replies
  • Hi Buxtonmovers,

Before going further, I’d like to clarify some details with the issue you encountered:
    1, Does the folder name contains any special characters? ( i.e $ % &)
    2, Which Office 365 subscription are you using?
    3, Did this issue occur when you created the folder in specify libraries or every libraries?

I tried to reproduce the issue on an Office 365 Enterprise tenant, I created multiple new profiles in the libraries in the team site, and synchronize them to SharePoint Workspace without any errors.

In addition, I suggest re-connecting to SharePoint Online with your SharePoint Workspace, and test if the error can be fixed.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply, we are on the P1 plan

- now special characters simply the label budgets, in fact just tried it again with the label new folder.

- I tried this in the default documents library, we had three documetns in there and it works fine, then added the new folder and it no longer syncs.

- I tried disconnecting and re-connecting with the same result.

- on another site I manage the same issue.

I noted in the forums many others siting the same issue with no apparent resolution

Regards

Michael

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Buxtonmovers,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

To reproduce the issue in my environment, with a SharePoint Online for Enterprises plan, I synchronized a Microsoft 2010 Workspace to a Team Site Shared Documents folder.  I was able to create new folders from the SharePoint Online ribbon option and then Sync Microsoft SharePoint Workspace with the Sync ribbon option to show the new folders on the Workspace content list.

I then reproduced the same procedure with a SharePoint Online Professionals Small Businesses plan.  I synchronized a Microsoft 2010 Workspace to a Team Site Document Library and created new folders with the SharePoint Online ribbon option and used the Microsoft SharePoint Workspace ribbon option Sync to show the new folders on the Workspace content list.

I am not able to reproduce the errors you are receiving while creating new SharePoint Online folders on a site synchronized to Microsoft 2010 Workspace.  On my Professionals plan I specifically used a document library with 3 documents to exactly replicate your test. 

With the tests that you have already conducted we can rule out:

1)    Less than 30,000 items on the list

2)    The sites are not Access Web Database sites

3)    You are not editing site pages or list attachments

If you utilize the SharePoint Workspace ribbon option to create the document library folder, does this result in the same “Data in this list references content type, which is no longer in the list schema” error?

If the workspace problem is isolated to one device, I recommend that you repair or re-install Office 2010 to see if that resolves the issue.  For Office Professional Plus for Office 365 installations, the following article details step by step troubleshooting.  To repair the installation review the section titled Repair Office installation and services.  To review the article click on the following link: General troubleshooting in Office Professional Plus for Office 365.

Let me know the results as I will continue to monitor this thread and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi Buxtonmovers,

I wanted to check and see if you were able to leverage the information provided to help resolve the issue with new folders creations breaking workspace synchronization.  Do you have any updates on the current state of this issue? 

I will continue to monitor this thread and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • I have the same issue and am also on plan P1.  The folders in the Documents on my TeamSite were created before I subscribed to Office Professional Plus.  When I tried to synch to Sharepoint Workspace it failed with the message as described here.  This is definitely an issue as is the disabling of the connect to office option in the library tools for P1 users.

• Not Ranked
  • HI

Have had a chance to play further, the suggestions you made we're really on theright track.

Turns out if I use the standard "Documents" library that comes default with P1 then I get the issues noted.

However if I create a new library, then setup wihtin that the issues don't occur.  Essentially the "documents" folder that come standard is unusable.

So can you advise what the documents folder is for as distinct from setting up your own libraries.

Thanks

Michael

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Buxtonmovers,

It was good to read that you were able to resolve the issue by creating a new library.  I am glad that you posted the resolution, so that others may benefit from this post.  By creating a new library and workspace instance, you effectively resolved any issues between Workspace and the default document library.

Because I conducted my August 12 test with the “documents” default document library that was created with my Team site, I am not able to reproduce this issue in my environment. 

I will continue to monitor this thread and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • We are having the same problem here. Simply creating a new empty folder in either SharePoint online, or windows file explorer, breaks the sync. We are using Office 2013 and SkyDrive Pro.

Can you give a step by step solution? I created a new site, but still get the error.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi HK Mike,

You need to stop using the standard 'Documents Library' that comes with the Office 365 subscription and create a new Library for your shared documents.  To do this select the 'Site Actions' menu from your Team site and select New Document Library from the drop down menu. Once you have done this you will be able to highlight the library and then access the library option from the 'Libray Tools' box which will give you the 'sync to sharepoint' option on the ribbon.  This works and once you have done it this way allows you to create new folders either in sharepoint workspace or in sharepoint on-line that synchronise properly.  

I'm not sure why the standard Documents library doesn't work correctly.

Hope this helps.

• Not Ranked
  • I can now confirm that this is an acceptable working solution. Thanks PJA Admin! I will distribute this work-around to the other threads.

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Hi HK Mike,

It was good to read that this solution also works with Office 2013 and Sky Drive Pro.

Thank you for your posts and for using the Microsoft Online SharePoint Services Forums.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • This also worked for me.  I had this in the past and removing suspect files worked around the problem but then it reappeared and even removing all my most recent files didn't help.  My new Document Library synched just fine but now I can't delete the old Documents library on Sharepoint2010 workspace.  I hope MSFT addresses this issue - I wonder how many customers give up on Office365 when this happens?

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)